add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

which cpu should i buy?

vincent_2006

4 months ago

so my budget for my cpu has to be under 55$ so i wanted to know which one is better. also i will be using an igpu so also want to know which integrated gpu is better! thx so much!

AMD A-8 9600: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4ZkwrH/amd-a8-9600-31ghz-quad-core-processor-ad9600agabbox

or the AMD Athlon 200ge: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dFhKHx/amd-athlon-200ge-32ghz-dual-core-processor-yd200gc6fbbox

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 4 points

Hi Vincent,

Barrel scraping on a new build is likely to be a waste of money.

A refurbished Dell Workstation class machine with a Sandy or newer i5 can be had for a few hundred bucks, throw a discrete GPU in there and you'll have a way better gaming rig than anything you can build for the same price.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx for telling me!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Hi Vincent,

In looking at some of your other posts, it's apparent you're trying to piece together a computer for like $200-300.

Presumption here is that you also have to buy windows.... putting the total budget for the build at ~$300-400 with an operating system.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAC0F7R83090&ignorebbr=1

CPU comparable in gaming to a 2400G (quad core, hyper threaded, haswell).

Comes with windows Pro, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.

GPU is a bit weak but still likely to be better than integrated graphics on a modern build. Can always be upgraded later. This is a much better start to a gaming rig than something you can build for the same price as you'll have enough CPU power and RAM to last a few years.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thx, bro!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

thx for telling me!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

9600 is AMD attempting to sell off old parts that nobody wanted and sat on shelves for the last 3 years don't even bother with it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx for telling me that!

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

To be blunt the 9600 is ****. It is based on the ancient bulldozer architecture, it is not a Ryzen CPU. It is basically a FM2+ APU for the AM4 socket. Zero idea why AMD thought it was a good idea to make since clearly they have not sold well .The 200GE will run circles around it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I am sure it is AMD selling off old stock that they could not sell before ryzen. The 200ge is the best option out of the 2 but at least the AM4 platform he has an upgrade path later on.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The 200ge will mop the floor with the AMD A-8 9600. Way better GPU, MUCH better architecture (it's actually Zen, the 9600 is bulldozer), and much more.

The 200ge's GPU can handle AAA gaming at low, 1080p / 720p, and get roughly 25 - 35fps if you pair it with 8GB of high speed RAM, so it'll be barely okay for that. For lighter and older games, it should be passable.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

will it be able to play fortnite at 60fps?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe, search on YouTube "Athlon 200ge Vega 3 fortnite" and see how it performs

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You will have to increase your budget or go for used pc parts so then you can get a better one because both of these CPUs are not as much good. Try increasing your budget to $100 at least then you can get a better one.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the 200ge is fantastic, especially since it is am4 so you can upgrade it later.

Been using it for the past few months with no issues, OC with stock cooler to 3.9ghz.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cfHMYT

The ram is overkill since the 200ge won't clock at that speed, but I'm planning on upgrading to a ryzen later this year. Check out the EVGA wednesday b-stock sales for psu and you could build a whole little beast for under $300.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube