add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I5-9600k v i7-9700k

JamirRomero

7 months ago

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my current cpu (i3-8350k), but I’m mostly doing gaming streaming and editing. I was wonder which CPU would suit me right now. I’m not doing the most intense gaming, this is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dd3Kr6

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If you want to open up more options for streaming (higher quality, software encoding options), consider the 9700K or 9900K.

If you're just using a GPU's fixed function encoder for streaming, then the 9700K is probably a good bet.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Streaming and editing may benefit from the extra 2 cores that is in the i7-9700k over the i5-9600k but both cpus are decent CPUs. If all you did is gaming and as you stated not the most intensive then the i3 you already have would be enough.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I wait to see how the price moves around with i7?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you're looking at used, prices probably won't change very much. Even looking back a few generations of chips, new ones are still close to MSRP (some may be discounted, but not by a wide margin). The only CPU I've seen take a massive dive in price is the R5 1600 at $79.99 at Microcenter.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So, my recommendation would be to pick up the i5-9600k. You can easily overlcock it with your CPU cooler to somewhere between the 4.8GHz and 5.0GHz range. With what you are doing, you will notice a step up from the i3. You wouldn't notice much of a difference between the i5 and i7 though, so save the money, get the i5 and you'll be very satisfied.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I was thinking 4.5 the highest I go since I don’t need to be too aggressive with it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

All you on that one! I was able to hit 4.8GHz with mine without changing the vcore power settings on the CPU. 4.5GHz should be very stable and give you a nice boost.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So should the i5 handle editing, streaming, and 140+ fps gaming with any application in the background

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Mine does just fine. I have mine OC'd to 4.8 GHz, have 32 GB of DDR 4 3200 RAM, and have no issues.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A 9600k will not enough for gaming and streaming

Auto voltage (aka not changing it) is bad and not recommended

• 7 months ago
  • -1 points

Prices likely wont change much for the 9700k and 9600k. I would stick with the i3 and if you really want to upgrade then AMD Ryzen 3 cpus will be really good so id wait for those cpus to release.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

If he were to upgrade to one of the newer Ryzen's, he would have to change motherboard making it more expensive.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

It actually wouldn't be that bad since he could get a 3600 8 core 16 thread 4.4 gigahertz (with multithreading, overclockable, and ipc imptovements) for only $200 compare that to intels offering.

Also, when i saw wait, i dont mean he has to get a ryzen 3 cpu when they release. If intel has a better option for video editing at the time fair enough.

I'm also not saying the 3600 will for sure be $200, but even if it ends up being $275 it still looks like it could be a decent option, but like i said, we can wait to see how they compare to intel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/%3famp

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I recently built this PC, I got the i3 from a friend who used it for a couple months.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube