• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

JamirRomero 9 days ago

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my current cpu (i3-8350k), but I’m mostly doing gaming streaming and editing. I was wonder which CPU would suit me right now. I’m not doing the most intense gaming, this is my current build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dd3Kr6

Comments Sorted by:

Allan_M_Systems 2 points 9 days ago

If you want to open up more options for streaming (higher quality, software encoding options), consider the 9700K or 9900K.

If you're just using a GPU's fixed function encoder for streaming, then the 9700K is probably a good bet.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 9 days ago

Streaming and editing may benefit from the extra 2 cores that is in the i7-9700k over the i5-9600k but both cpus are decent CPUs. If all you did is gaming and as you stated not the most intensive then the i3 you already have would be enough.

JamirRomero submitter 1 point 9 days ago

Should I wait to see how the price moves around with i7?

macetotheface 1 point 8 days ago

Unless you're looking at used, prices probably won't change very much. Even looking back a few generations of chips, new ones are still close to MSRP (some may be discounted, but not by a wide margin). The only CPU I've seen take a massive dive in price is the R5 1600 at $79.99 at Microcenter.

andrewrayhons 2 Builds 1 point 9 days ago

So, my recommendation would be to pick up the i5-9600k. You can easily overlcock it with your CPU cooler to somewhere between the 4.8GHz and 5.0GHz range. With what you are doing, you will notice a step up from the i3. You wouldn't notice much of a difference between the i5 and i7 though, so save the money, get the i5 and you'll be very satisfied.

JamirRomero submitter 2 points 9 days ago

I was thinking 4.5 the highest I go since I don’t need to be too aggressive with it

All you on that one! I was able to hit 4.8GHz with mine without changing the vcore power settings on the CPU. 4.5GHz should be very stable and give you a nice boost.

So should the i5 handle editing, streaming, and 140+ fps gaming with any application in the background

Mine does just fine. I have mine OC'd to 4.8 GHz, have 32 GB of DDR 4 3200 RAM, and have no issues.

BetrayedPredator 1 point 9 days ago

A 9600k will not enough for gaming and streaming

Auto voltage (aka not changing it) is bad and not recommended

achraf1 1 point 9 days ago
iPhoneExtraviganza -1 points 9 days ago

Prices likely wont change much for the 9700k and 9600k. I would stick with the i3 and if you really want to upgrade then AMD Ryzen 3 cpus will be really good so id wait for those cpus to release.

Planemaster 3 points 9 days ago

If he were to upgrade to one of the newer Ryzen's, he would have to change motherboard making it more expensive.

iPhoneExtraviganza 2 points 7 days ago

It actually wouldn't be that bad since he could get a 3600 8 core 16 thread 4.4 gigahertz (with multithreading, overclockable, and ipc imptovements) for only $200 compare that to intels offering.

Also, when i saw wait, i dont mean he has to get a ryzen 3 cpu when they release. If intel has a better option for video editing at the time fair enough.

I'm also not saying the 3600 will for sure be $200, but even if it ends up being $275 it still looks like it could be a decent option, but like i said, we can wait to see how they compare to intel.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-ryzen-3000-cpu-everything-you-need-to-know/%3famp

Well I recently built this PC, I got the i3 from a friend who used it for a couple months.