• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Storm55 10 days ago

Hello, I just bought an 8700k and Noctua D15s. I was wondering if I need to delid my CPU?

Comments Sorted by:

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 4 points 10 days ago

Deliding is not a NEED it is a WANT for people. It can lower your temps by a good margin and is a step highly recommended if you want to try and push your overclocks as far as they can go. If you are only aiming for 5.0 GHz chances are your temps will be fine as they are with the Noctua NH D15s as that is a monster cooler. Delidding does void your warranty but many delid kits trivialize it and make it less dangerous to do. I would recommend not deliding if it makes you nervous as it can run just fine as it is.

Storm55 submitter 1 point 10 days ago

what a relief to read your comment. thank you! I kept seeing posts that my cooler is bad compared to x62 Kraken, also another post that if I get an 8700k I needed to get it delid or it was useless to get it. I was even told to get the 8700 instead of deliding.

kschendel 1 Build 2 points 10 days ago

Some very peculiar notions out there, I guess. You can run a 8700K on a modest cooler like a Hyper 212 and it will be just fine, although you might not get as much out of the chip compared to a better cooler.

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 2 points 10 days ago

i had my 8600K running at 5.3ghz on a stupid Cryorig H7 for a while. it got a tad warm, but it still worked fine. i didnt delid it either.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 10 days ago

Yeah, that d15s can beat some of the 240mm aio coolers in performance so it is rather sad that people underestimate it. A 280mm aio is needed to out perform it and it is not by a large margin either.

DrLitch 1 Build 3 points 10 days ago

If you intend to run stock speeds or play with mild overclocks, delidding a CPU is unnecessary. Folks that fall in the delid category are going to be pushing past 5GHz overclocks or are going to be running their CPU 24/7 at near 100%. For you, delidding is an unnecessary evil, not recommended.

You cooler is fine, actually it is a very good Air Cooler. Whomever advised you probably is in the camp "liquid cool or bust". I will tell you a little something - 90% of all those All in One Liquid coolers are actually worse at keeping a CPU cool than a good quality fan cooler. Subjective, depends on cooler of course. I have owned three All in One Liquid coolers and all three were, at best, fair. DIY liquid cooling is where it is at, but it will add $400 to your build, bare minimum. An Air cooler is mostly the wise choice outside of serious overclockers, those whose PC's cannot accommodate anything other than a low profile air cooler, or those that want to get their builds featured (aesthetics of a custom loop).

Storm55 submitter 1 point 10 days ago

Yeah, I saw a bunch of posts on r/ saying go with AIO or nothing. I was confused tbh.