add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to keep voltage from going over set vcore while overclocking

DeLiD

4 months ago

Very new to pc and did my first overclock. I'm on a z390 aorus pro and 8700k with all cores on 4.7ghz at 1.15v. But during testing I noticed it went up to 1.176. Is there anyway to stop that from happening?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

1.176v is not high for that CPU and chances are if you force it to stay at 1.15v it could make the CPU unstable and crash. I have seen people push 1.3v+ with decent cooling to push 5.0-5.3 GHz out of those chips so 1.176 is hardly anything.

How are your temps? Not sure which Intel CPU you have as that chipset is great for a range of CPUs from the i5-9600k to the i9-9900k. If your temps are 80c under max load stress test or lower then you should not worry at all about it as that is the ideal spot for temps. If you are way under that then you can try to overclock higher and get more performance out of your CPU.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

8700k, Between 60c and 65c while gaming.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Currently sitting at 28c

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I was fine with performance at stock but it was pushing upwards of 1.2v at max 4.4ghz and I just kinda wanted to refine it and get its rates 4.7 at a lower voltage than stock. I kinda feel like I can go a little lower than 1.15

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So you are looking to undervolt the CPU while keeping the clock rates up. You are no where near enough voltage to drastically effect CPU life with degradation. That happens when you run a CPU hot enough (at or near thermal throttle limit for long periods of time) or at higher voltages. IIRC for Intel 1.4v+ is where it will start being effected by it where you may worry about it. Ryzen is anything over 1.4v. Of course lower voltages do technically effect cpu life but it means where it may last 20 years before frying on 1.15v it may last 18 years on 1.2v and chances are you are going to upgrade your PC again long before then. 1.5v can drop that down to 5 years but those are estimates and can vary depending on the CPU.

I had a friend who once owned a FX 9590 and ran it at 5.0 GHz at 1.5v and it died after about 2 years. Sure that was a terrible performing CPU to begin with but 1.5v is beyond my comfort level on a CPU. Most people overclock and not worry about shortening the CPU lifespan because if they don't go overly crazy on voltages and stay under 1.4v then the life of the CPU likely won't be effected to the point where it may end up dying before the user upgrades anyhow. That is assuming temps are kept in check.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I just like to see lower temps tbh. Over a couple days of use my temps were just getting worse. Now I'm playing bf4 200fps between 55 and 60c

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm sure it had something to due with the paste settling in. I just built me pc around 2 weeks ago.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

100c is the thermal throttle limit and if the CPU runs that hot regularly it can effect the life of the CPU. That effect on life greatly drops until the 80c amount and anything lower does not have much difference on the CPU. So if you are between 55 to 60c it is no different if you were running at 75c.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube