add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Build, need an opinion on a CPU

PeroMenalo

4 months ago

As the title says, I am working on building a new PC and need opinions on the CPU going forward

Essentially, I am looking to do the following;

Game, Stream, and dedicate some of those Cores to running a NAS/Plex for the household.

I have considered the 2920x (This build won't happen for a couple of months), and am hoping for the price drop with the release of Zen2 Ryzen 3.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Cautions?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not sure that gaming and streaming will take up 24 threads, but it might(at least the streaming side might use 'em. playing games alone definitely won't use that many cores). If you plan on runnning Plex in parallel to streaming/gaming, then the Threadripper would be a good choice. Overall I don't think you'd be going wrong with the Threadripper. You could wait for Zen 2, and gauge what to buy from there, as long as you don't need this build soon.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I am probably not building until late july/early august. I figured I would start planning things out and watching for price drops and the like

Plenty of things I need to work out for this build prior to starting any purchases

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if thats the case, then Zen 2 should be out by then, I'd just wait to see what that's all about, then go from there. Who knows, if it isn't what you expected, the 2920x might go on sale to clear inventory...

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would choose a 1950x 16 cores, 32 threads you can’t beat that for 600 dollars

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair, but from what I remember reading, the first generation of Threadrippers are not as optimized for gaming as the second generation is

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

They are the same product with some misleading marketing.

Second generation changed nothing from first other then process used allowing the boost clocks to ramp up higher.

They lag behind first generation AM4 parts for gaming performance.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Threadripper_2920X/12.html

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So can I manually overclock on the 1950x to what the 2950x can achieve?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Not really a good answer to that Threadripper doubles up on silicon lottery luck using two CPU.

It might or not.

But from what the reviews show it's not worth the effort for for anything but a double winner and even then its low single digit gains.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube