add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ELI5: how do you advise we pick a cpu?

parts101

7 months ago

here's the summary of informative & helpful info

If such a CPU was in your use scenario you would have stipulated that.

• most cpus are more than fine for most everything

• each specific program can work better with different characteristics.

• Example: Adobe After Effects uses a mixture of cores and clock speed.

• The current best CPU for this program is the i9-9900k.

• Example 2: Vray CPU rendering can use as many cores as you can throw at it.

• The Threadripper 2990WX is the fastest for this particular task.

• Now in both the examples above, each CPU also has downsides and costs:

• the 2990WX is a power hungry, hot CPU that doesn't do nearly as well in lower threaded tasks, and the 9900k is on a consumer platform limited to 64GB of RAM.

• Some people with these workloads may choose other CPUs for other considerations.

• Therefore, it's important to know what your main uses are.

• Once you know that, you can look up recent benchmarks with those programs or similar uses to get some idea of what CPUs perform well in those tasks.

• Then you are limited by budget and your other considerations.

• I just noticed you mentioned OneNote and Chrome- neither is particularly CPU intensive.

• you would probably get a better experience by making sure you have an SSD and 16GB of RAM in dual channel (2 identical sticks of 8GB, usually sold as a kit,

• and if going Ryzen, look for higher speed).

things to do in future:

1. get cpu = similar to 2200g or less

2. cpu good with ddr5 https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/314723

3. ppl say any built in psu should be fine for this cpu

4. get any low cost itx mobo that is easy to find on amazon or a nearby major store

if only there could be a good ready-made....

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Ryzen 3300G does not exist, it is nothing tangible right now. It is likely a product in latter stages of development with a launch date of "insert anyone's best guess". The CPU might be a six core beast with 12 threads for $130 or it could be a 100MHz 486 clone that squirts sulfuric acid on your fingers when you mount it on the motherboard. We the consumer know nothing.

Logic suggests purchasing the 2200g if you need a computer now.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Zen, Zen+, and Zen2 all appear to center around groups of 4 cores. It would be rather odd for a Zen2 ALU chip to use anything but 4 or 8 cores (unless the 3600G chip has 8 and the 3300G is cut down to 6).

Still, a hypothetical Zen2 ALU will likely be well after launches of ryzen and epyc, and possibly after an additional AMD GPU. AMD has plenty on their plate, and the next ALU hasn't even popped up on the public schedule.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

chiplets with 1 bad die would be used to create 6 core cpus

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you go for modern CPU, anything from Intel i3 - i7, anything Ryzen 3 - Ryzen 7, any old Ryzen Threadripper or anything from Intel's "X" series CPU's, and you will be able to build a fine PC. Bottom line, that is what it is. Never mind about what software you are going to Run (outside of certain encoding applications or editing programs that require enormous parallel'ism to the computations or compression/decompression algorithms). If such a CPU was in your use scenario you would have stipulated that. Since you did not, it is moot, a program app you need not waste money on matching up a CPU.

Modern CPU's, examples I have given, are going to run 99% of all applications with astonishing speed and efficiency. This includes gaming. The other 1%, if you were in the use category, you would have indicated that in your post.

If you want to pick a CPU, the middle path is the best one. This is the i5 or Ryzen 5 series. From there on it is a question of enthusiasm. A chart / list of CPU's from most powerful to weakest is of little use or importance, it is the PC Enthusiast's equivalent of ranking his female colleagues looks wise out of 10. The list is not going to get him a girlfriend.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

How to chose a cpu?

It all depends on what you plan to do with your computer and on your budget.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

do you then have a helpful chart of the main uses of a pc, and the corresponding cpu? (or know the link to it)

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

There isn't really an exact chart with various uses because each specific program can work better with different characteristics.

Example: Adobe After Effects uses a mixture of cores and clock speed. The current best CPU for this program is the i9-9900k.

Example 2: Vray CPU rendering can use as many cores as you can throw at it. The Threadripper 2990WX is the fastest for this particular task.

Now in both the examples above, each CPU also has downsides and costs: the 2990WX is a power hungry, hot CPU that doesn't do nearly as well in lower threaded tasks, and the 9900k is on a consumer platform limited to 64GB of RAM. Some people with these workloads may choose other CPUs for other considerations.

Therefore, it's important to know what your main uses are. Once you know that, you can look up recent benchmarks with those programs or similar uses to get some idea of what CPUs perform well in those tasks. Then you are limited by budget and your other considerations.

I just noticed you mentioned OneNote and Chrome- neither is particularly CPU intensive. The 2200G would probably be just fine for the task at hand. Depending on your budget, the 2400G is a stronger processor, but you would probably get a better experience by making sure you have an SSD and 16GB of RAM in dual channel (2 identical sticks of 8GB, usually sold as a kit, and if going Ryzen, look for higher speed).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

this is very informative and definitely the best most helpful reply so far

each specific program can work better with different characteristics.

yep this is one of those many things that makes this complex, i think for now ill just move on to the next step of i think is mobos with this 2200-2400g cpu pick

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd recommend looking at cheap B450 boards- out of the box compatibility without worrying about old stock with un-updated BIOS, and support for overclocking. VRMs aren't going to be stressed too much so you can go with whatever is cheap/looks good.

Don't forget some decently fast RAM- I usually recommend 3000MHz or 3200MHz depending on price. Example budget kit.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A chart doesn't really exist. If you want to learn this for yourself you have to research (read reviews) all the latest gen cpu's of amd and intel. When you know what you will do with this pc and you know your budget you can find out what cpu (and other parts) you will need.

If you want it to be faster you can just say your budget and what you plan to do and people here will give you a recommendation + why they chose that cpu.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Bottom line: for office / home productivity like OneNote, Chrome, YouTube, Plex, Spotify - 2200G is plenty.

2200G with 8 to 16GB of DDR4-3000 or 3200 RAM will serve you well. I'm running the following currently, and have no issues doing what I need to do. My kids stream Frozen and Harry Potter from Plex while I do work-related stuff with music playing, and I have no issues.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor Purchased For $79.99
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard Purchased For $55.96
Memory G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Purchased For $107.96
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $72.99
Case Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case Purchased For $49.99
Power Supply EVGA - BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply Purchased For $39.99
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit Purchased For $99.99
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $31.99
Case Fan Corsair - LL120RGB LED (Three Fans With Lighting Node PRO) 43.25 CFM 120mm Fans Purchased For $97.50
Monitor Acer - SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor Purchased For $99.99
Keyboard Microsoft - Desktop 900 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse Purchased For $27.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $764.34
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-06 15:28 EDT-0400
[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't. The DS3H is not great for o/c, and is micro ATX, which limits options. The 860 Evo was good at the time, but price-wise there are just as good options for less. The case is nice, but not stellar, and not available. The PSU is mediocre. And the PCIe Wifi adapter could be replaced by a USB solution. Further, the monitor is nothing special.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Relevant in use benchmarks.

That being said the 3300G isn't a thing the 3000 series APU are 12nm refresh of the current models, and AMD has confirmed there are no plans to add graphics to the second generation of Zen.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i've updated everything helpful into the main post,

1. i understand that it's hard to know what any given person knows, but fuller & more complete comments would make for better replies overall

2. effect/impact is also helpful, without that info, to just say that ram speed is 'faster' on chrome doesnt lead us to anything good, and only to more confusion

alot of the unanswered questions/confusions were answered in the ram post or summed up in this topic

it's now done

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

im very confused by what is said about 'discrete GPU', and it's not being explain fully

Using a discrete GPU provides access to faster lower latency memory

how much faster exactly? over at ram, it's been said that the 'latency' of regular ram is trivial

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

how much faster exactly? over at ram, it's been said that the 'latency' of regular ram is trivial

Regular RAM Yes. Using regular RAM for the visual work though is very different then what a discrete GPU uses.

arent most thing chrome needs to access on the web?

Only the actual webpage itself and only if You have never been there before. Chrome and everything it needs as well as many parts of the webpages are stored locally in storage to speed access time.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

99-99.9% of pages i've never been to before

and almost always they are new info

where could we see the file or file path that has the 'many parts of the webpages' that are stored on computer? to see how many sites or pages are in there

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

99-99.9% of pages i've never been to before

and almost always they are new info

They may look different but there are very few frameworks that webpages are built off of.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

im assuming that chrome takes care of those 'frameworks' those ppl use

but we need to actually test, so could i check on where the files in whichever file path they would be?

w10

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

what are the specific uses of 'discrete GPU' in chrome that would be faster? as this wasnt the uses wasnt indicated before

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

what are the specific uses of 'discrete GPU' in chrome that would be faster? as this wasnt the uses wasnt indicated before

Loading the pages, less slowdown when multiple tabs are up, smoother scrolling on the pages.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

where could we see the graphs and details on 'discrete gpu' with chrome on these things? i dont wanna ask this at gpu since i've nothing over at gpu

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Finding benchmarks in the uses relevant to You.

If you want to game find in game benchmarks in the titles that matter to You.

If you are looking at productivity same deal finding benchmarks that matter to You.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You would be surprised at what Google and YouTube has for benchmarks.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

ssd

CPU performance in this workload is measured in milliseconds the difference between SSD and platter drives well accessing and loading the information stored locally has far greater impact then CPU choice.

or discrete GPU,

Integrated graphics share both system memory and memory interface bandwidth with the CPU.

Using a discrete GPU provides access to faster lower latency memory and doesn't impact CPU performance unlike integrated graphics do.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

what do you mean by '3300G isn't a thing' ?

3300G was leaked awhile back as an upcoming sku for the Zen 2 line.

Only AMD outright killed those rumors off and the APU most of all.

Ryzen 2 models will not have integrated graphics for desktop models.

The desktop APU launched will be the same as what we have currently using the 12nm process used on the 2000 series models.

Ryzen 2 mobile will be a single design built around mobile use and repurposed as needed for desktop models.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

are you saying '3300G is not going to be release?

Not as it has been leaked.

AMD may use that model number but it will be a slightly faster 2200G/2400G and not worth waiting the 4-8 months before it launches.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Work off of what relevant information You do have Chrome hasn't changed much at all.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

They made memory usage less insane and improved power usage for mobile devices like laptops.

As for actual speed when they are measuring in milliseconds the actual CPU impact is not noticeable.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

how is the info (that is on the web that chrome shows us) stored on our computers? and thus would make ssd > hdd

Chrome itself, all the instructions Chrome needs, and all the associated temporary files that are accessed each time anything changes in Chrome are all stored locally.

since you said the cpu doesnt matter much, then why couldnt the computer use some of the unused resources/'memory'/stuff from the cpu?

No.

how much faster exactly? over at ram, it's been said that the 'latency' is trivial

Latency of DDR4 stored several inches away versus GDDR5 stored much closer is orders of magnitudes apart.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

how do you advise we pick a cpu?

We advise you tell us what you want to use the pc for as that will inform the best way to guide you.

From the answers so far it looks like you need a pc for relatively low intensity office type work?

Your country (hopefully listed in the drop down menu in the top right where is says "United States") and budget for the pc will also be useful.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason for asking for country was only so that pcpartpicker could show prices from retailers in your country and using local currency. If your country isn't in the list then you'll have to deal with availability and currency issues yourself.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

This is asked because it can affect what is recommended. What might be cheap in the US (where a good portion of the users here are from), may not even be available in another country. Also, because of tariffs and other things, it helps make a more informed decision since prices can be very different. For example, a CPU in the US might cost $150, but in Canada it will cost $200. We need to take that into effect if you also provide a budget, and what you're trying to achieve.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube