add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How worth it would buying the 9400F be?

Synchro

7 months ago

I plan on doing gaming, and just your usual internet stuff, and that's it.

Currently holding the purchase price of $169.99.

Don't really care for overclocking, and I've already got my RX 580 for graphics. Opinions?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 5 points

The i5-9400f punches it's weight. The Ryzen 2600 crushes it in performance for multi threaded tasks. In gaming realm, they are about even once you push the clock on the 2600. However, if you just insert CPU and leave as is, no clock tweaks, gaming will slightly favor the Intel chip. This is actually one of the few examples where an AMD build would actually cost more than a competing Intel build out of pocket. There are many that consider the i5-8400/9400f the best bang for the buck CPU's this generation. It is hard to argue with that point, excellent chips, and few issues. Will handle any gaming scenario you throw at it and then some. One may argue that the Ryzen build opens the door to their Zen 2, a marvel of engineering technology according to some despite the fact that nobody has a clue what to expect out of the chipsets. To be honest, it would be really quite silly to purchase a Ryzen CPU now and then upgrade to Zen 2 six months from now. Either stick or swim.

• 7 months ago
  • 4 points

If it's purely for gaming and basic internet browsing , it should be a tid bit faster than an equally priced 2600 (around 3-5% faster in games than it)

However, I would still go for the ryzen platform as their b450 boards offer more features than equal priced h310/b360 boards out there plus future cpu upgrades for ryzen 3xxx platforms.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

B365 is out for the 9000 series and offers better features then B450 can because it has more and newer generation lanes to use B450 is still limited to 2.0 for everything not wired to the CPU.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/dQgzK8,WcjJ7P,bPrmP6,Xtzkcf/

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

It's a shame that those b365 are limited to 2666 mhz ram at max.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes and No.

If You want a tinkering board then Yes but then You also want a high end board to actually achieve something not a low end board that will limit You.

If all that matters is performance a 9400F+B365 runs away with the competition offering more bang for the buck for lower thread count uses.

Sure $5 more for the CPU but save on RAM and get more for the money on a lower priced motherboard if You don't want even more at the same price.

Intel really learned how to push value from AMD and it is showing on these.

Edit: I would bet that having three generations of shortages also helps them react quicker to the changing market.

Like if you look at the Phantom Gaming 4.

Two full bandwidth M.2 just in time for the NVME market to come crashing down to Sata pricing, Current audio codec, RGB.

You have to spend for a B450 Strix/Gaming Pro Carbon/X470 to get that kind of features on AM4. And AMD isn't launching lower end 500 series till next year.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Lower is still lower and You are comparing the upper end of what the Intel will run on that chipset versus what most consider the minimum.

So it is more like this.

Or to give AMD what it really prefers to shine this.

And that is leaving the 3200MT/s@CL14 or higher out of consideration.

Even in Your biased case add in the $10 on the motherboard and that still puts You saving $6 over a 2600 with a better featured motherboard and better performance in the posters use.

Edit: In case You believe Me to be unreasonable the best pairings for a Ryzen CPU are shown to be Samsung B-die at 3200mt/s@CL14 or Hynix CJR at 3600mt/s@CL19 and tweak timings as needed from there.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_Memory_Tweaking_Overclocking_Guide/11.html

Which I left out because of their overly high pricing currently. Lower grade bins or other memory is only going to cost performance which defeats the purpose.

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

For strictly gaming its capable of beating anything Ryzen unless you are going to go crazy on cooling+higher end motherboard+high speed low latency RAM.

The newer B365 chipsets also have more PCIe 3.0 lanes to use so the features offered are beyond what a comparable B450 (Limited to Gen 2.0 lanes from the chipset) is capable of running.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Makes sense all the AMD stuff is old, new gen around the corner. The only new board I found was the B450 steel legend that just came out and its over 100us, but does have some LED and stuff.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a bang for your buck intel CPU that's the only description it needs. But it can still run games very well if you plan on only gaming and browsing.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go for the 2600 for multi threading and ability to overclock. But both cpus are good so u cant go wrong with either so dont stress about which 1 to go for too much.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Considering the 8400 is more difficult to come by at a reasonable price and the 9400F very slightly outperforms it, I went with the 9400F myself. I haven't build the PC yet. I'm using it as a placeholder for a 9900k.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube