• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Shizaru 14 days ago

Hey there,

A friend has been gaming for a few years on a pre-built and is now looking to build his first pc. As you would expect from a pre-built, many components are too low quality to be reused. However, he is rocking the i7 6700, which isn’t completely outdated yet. He is now dubbing to either buy a Ryzen 2600x with a new motherboard, or a z270 motherboard for the i7 6700 and use it for a bit longer, which is the cheaper option. The downside of that is that with the z270 the maximum upgrade in 1 or 2 years would be an i7 7700k.

He is planning on playing 144hz 1080p or possibly 1440p and will pair the CPU with a RTX 2070.

Thus, my question to you is, what would you do, upgrade just the motherboard which will limit him from potential future CPU upgrades after the i7 6700 gets too outdated. Or, upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen 2600x and a new motherboard? How will the i7 6700 hold up for the coming years, and will it bottleneck the RTX 2070 too much?

Thanks in advance boys!

Comments Sorted by:

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 13 days ago

It will be a while before a 4core/8thread CPU is outdated to the point it will not be at least a reasonable Gaming CPU. As things stand I would not be too concerned about it's performance bottlenecks. I would not recommend having an upgrade path to i7-7700K, upgrade path should be for a contemporary CPU. In this context, do not bother with a Z270 board which will cost a pretty penny even used. Go for a different board B250/H110 or something like that, cheaper. Should hold up for a 2/3 years with a good GPU. Upgrade completely then.

Or...

Sell what he has on eBay, use money to reinvest in 2600X build.

Just remember, there is no such thing as futureproofing. That Ryzen 2600X will not give him much more mileage than the i7. Technology moves forward, when the install base is high enough, applications will be developed with that new technology in mind.

Rin_Itoh 1 point 13 days ago

It will depend on what else he is going to use the build for, as well as the budget. If he has the budget to build a whole new PC no problem then he can go with the 2600 (just OC it and you will get the same performance as the x) and sell the pre-built. If there might be a budget issue then go with the 6700 and get a cheaper B250 board from a site like eBay. Since you can't OC anyway there is no reason to get a 'Z' board. I would invest in some 3000-3200 Mhz RAM though. The 6700 won't really be able to take advantage of it, but when/if he switches to Ryzen you should see really solid performance.

No matter what you choose it won't be 'future-proof'. Games are just now starting to take advantage of more than 4 cores, but it can only really use 6 cores, and only in some games. A 4c/8t CPU will be fine for a few years. You also should not bottleneck any GPU, especially a 2070.

mark5916 1 point 13 days ago

If he gets playable fps at 1080p or 1440p, is doesn't matter if it's an older CPU.

The cheaper option would be to buy only a GPU and keep the rest of the build.

He can always upgrade the rest of the build with newer parts in the long run, if he feels it lacks performance.

And until then, he can get a Ryzen 3000 processor and perhaps the new X570 chip-set boards as well.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 2 points 13 days ago

I would agree, there is little point of spending extra money on an overclocking kabylake chipset board for a locked skylake i7 as it can't be overclocked anyhow.

The i7-6700 isn't a terrible CPU and depending on his needs it may last him a couple more years as it is and get more value out of it. There will be some gains going to a 2600x but the question is would those gains be even worth the cost of a new motherboard/cpu from what OP already has. If he does make the 6700 last a couple more years then even better stuff will be out then.

Allan_M_Systems 1 point 13 days ago

Can the motherboard/RAM from the pre-built carry over to the new build or is it a proprietary motherboard? (non-ATX standard power or mounting)