• No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

UltraNoob123 14 days ago

Is thata good idle temp or not?

Comments Sorted by:

bucketofcrud12 4 Builds 2 points 14 days ago

thats pretty good, yes. of course, how good idle temps are is relative to your room temperature. for instance, if for some reason you liked your room to be kept at 10 C, then no, that would be a poor idle temp. now, i assume that you're a normal human being and you like your room at around 25-27 C. if so, then realize that your CPU temperature at idle cannot be lower than the room temperature with conventional PC cooling. this pretty much means, yeah, nice job.

TheShadowGuy 1 point 14 days ago

27C

I'll take my 17.8C, thanks.

For OP: Generally yes, that's a decent temp. More importantly, check your load temps. If there is a problem with your cooling or overclock, then you would see it when using a stressful load. I use Prime95 for such testing, personally.

shreduhsoreus 5 Builds 1 point 13 days ago

17.8C

So you keep your room heated/cooled to under 64 degrees F?

TheShadowGuy 1 point 12 days ago

Heated, yes.

In summer though I only cool to 22C. Still a lot less than 27C.

shreduhsoreus 5 Builds 1 point 12 days ago

So you keep your room 15 degrees in the winter?

I've had it unintentionally get a bit lower than that. When your outside temp goes from 27C to 0C in less than two days and you forget to change from A/C to heat, it gets cold, haha.

But usually I'll heat it to 17.8C.

Yes, guests complain my house is cold in the winter. The electricity bill savings though!

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 14 days ago

5, maybe 10C over room temperature is fine.

If it's a Ryzen CPU, be aware that the reported temperature (Tctrl) is defined to be 10C over actual die temp (Tdie), so you'll never see less than 10C over ambient unless you're using a refrigerated cooler.

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 14 days ago

so when it says 30 it is actually 20?

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 14 days ago

If it's a Ryzen, yes. If it's a Threadripper, if my info is correct, it will say 47 when it's actually 20; the Threadripper Tctrl offset is +27C.

No idea why. I get the impression that it's AMD's version of a late person setting all the clocks in the house ahead. (which, being married to one, I can attest doesn't work.)

shreduhsoreus 5 Builds 1 point 13 days ago

For Threadripper Tctl is the offset temp and is used for throttling when run at stock clocks, Tdie is the actual temp. All of my apps that report usage stats display the Tdie.

Tetsuclaw 5 Builds 1 point 14 days ago

Well look at that, we get the same idle temps! https://imgur.com/a/EGednc4

Well idle temps do not mean much but load temps mean a lot more. I would recommend a max temp around 80c for extended use while 100c is the throttle limit. I have a hard time hitting 60c in my rig so I have ample thermal headroom. Depending on the type of cooler some may have a higher idle temp but still cool well but 28 is low for an air cooler. The temps I linked is from my Ryzen Stealth build, 1800x @ 4.0 1.38v.

What are your temps under a full load? Also what is your build and OC settings?

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 14 days ago

built my pc yesterday so i havent overcklocked yet. After it it downloading some stuff over the night my 2600 was 30-33C. i dont think it is needed but i might reaply my thermalpaste

Check your load temps with a program like Prime95. The idle/low load temps you've reported seem completely normal.

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 11 days ago

I did a small temporary OC to 3,6 ghz and ran aida 64 for 15-20 min and it stayed at 40c (I only had the stress CPU checked)

TheShadowGuy 1 point 9 days ago

Many CPUs can boost higher than that by default so it may have functionally been an underclock. Still, that's a good temp. You would want to test longer (1 hour +) and really make sure things are stable and cool over time.

When messing with clocks, the biggest indicator of heat is voltage. More voltage=more heat, even if the clock speeds don't change. Worth noting if you want to keep tweaking and optimizing.

UltraNoob123 submitter 1 point 9 days ago

yes, as I said it is temporary