add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is my PC being Bottlenecked. I really need help.

mustiyoyo

7 months ago

My pc is a Acer Predator g3-605 that had an gtx 980 in it.

The specs are as followed.

GTX 980

Intel i7 4790 @3.60ghz (non k)

16GB DDR3 Ram eacht at 1600

Acer Predator G3-605 LGA1150 Motherboard DB.SPX 11.001 MS-7829 (this as it looks like is my mobo)

1tb Hdd

and a 128gb SSD on which windows and bf5 are installed.

Bios version: American Megatrends Inc. P11-C1, 12.09.2014

Windows 10 64 Bit

A 500W PSU From FSP GROUP INC.

a 144hz monitor DP and a 60hz monitor HDMI (60hz monitor is off only turn it on sometimes)

and i dont know if thats helps but my gpu runs at 1695mhz Gpu speed

So recently i swapped my gtx 980 for a RTX 2060 and noticed these following problems. (Please dont be mad if i dont understand some things such as some games use more cpu or gpu)

In bf5 for instance my cpu is at 98% all the time and my gpu under 5% i get about 70 and seomtimes 100 FPS if nothing is happening on screen at ultra settings with dx12 and dx11

In sekiro My cpu is at 80ish% and my gpu is at 65ish%

In Overwatch my Gpu is also at 10% and cpu over 90%

Now the real culprits are Ac Odyssey and Far cry New dawn in those games i Reach under 60 Fps and cpu load is at 80%

Thermals are perfect gpu is under 65C and Cpu under 65C reaching 70 at max.

I have done no OC on anything neither on gpu or cpu.

Oh and i have installed all the latest drivers aswell.

I have tried setting Power management in NVIDA CONTROLL PANEL to "prefer Maximum Performance" that hasnt helped.

nvidia control panel physx configuration on my gpu rtx 2060

I have reset my pc aswell cleaning it from all the junk.

I have plugged everything in and out and everything is plugged in corectly

Even applied new thermal paste to my cpu which also has done nothing.

Nothing big is running in the backround no steam/uplay or any other cpu or gpu intensive programm.

I hope i coverd all the needed infos for you guys. And by god i hope someone can help me cause i have read that a Intel i7 4790 is still strong and going am i doing something wrong? I just need

to find out what the cause maybe i will be willing to buy a new MOBO and ram if its compatiable with my cpu but by no means can i afford a new cpu right now.

I really hope one of you guys can help me figure this out cause right now im really frustrated and very tired of doing so much research.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Something in not only Your but Everyone's PC's is always bottlenecking performance.

In bf5 for instance my cpu is at 98% all the time and my gpu under 5% i get about 70 and seomtimes 100 FPS if nothing is happening on screen at ultra settings with dx12 and dx11

In sekiro My cpu is at 80ish% and my gpu is at 65ish%

In Overwatch my Gpu is also at 10% and cpu over 90%

Now the real culprits are Ac Odyssey and Far cry New dawn in those games i Reach under 60 Fps and cpu load is at 80%

Anytime a single thread/core reaches 100% you stop gaining frame rates no matter overall CPU load.

And by god i hope someone can help me cause i have read that a Intel i7 4790 is still strong and going am i doing something wrong?

Giving how poorly optimized the titles having major issues are I would still go with the 4790 being pretty capable.

Like BFV.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1754-battlefield-5-cpu-multiplayer-bench/

You would need to update to a I5-8400 or a R7 2700X to see 20-30fps gains which might be noticeable but I would suggest more like a 9600k/9700K if you are looking at a complete swap.

AC.O if you want to keep those dips above 60fps your looking at a 2700X minimum and even that only pushes 86fps on average.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1730-intel-core-i9-9900k-core-i7-9700k/page4.html

If your goal is to push high frame rates all the time in those kinds of titles you need serious CPU performance to overcome poor optimization.

• 7 months ago
  • -3 points

According to Bottleneck Calculator, your average bottleneck percentage is 3.27%, anything above 10% is considered bottleneck.

https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-4790/GeForce_GTX_980/0zU0LDlu/

If you are looking for more frames I would suggest upgrading the CPU.

Edit - Perhaps an upgrade to DDR4-3000 RAM would help too?

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Please please please don't Bottleneck Caclulator. It uses some random magical figures to give you a "score" that isn't indicative of anything. And, since games can peg either the CPU and GPU differently, it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. WoW for instance hits one core really hard, while games like BF V can soak multiple cores/threads (I think it might be 8 or more). So, we can't treat these the same.

Edit - Perhaps an upgrade to DDR4-3000 RAM would help too?

OP can only use DDR3 so an entire system swap would be needed.

As Gillroar stated above, something is always bottlenecking something else. It's impossible to not have it somewhere in the system. The best anyone can do is purchase the strongest part for their use case.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this, I learnt something today. I'v been using Bottleneck Calculator for my build, you're saying it essentially doesn't work? Also is there any real way to calculate a bottleneck?

Good point about the RAM, totally didn't notice that, my bad.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It doesn't work because it can't. You can calculate any number you like, but it won't have any relation to reality.

Since you appear to use your computer for gaming, think of it this way: The CPU has to run the game engine and generate the frames. Some game engines are well optimized and some are not. Some put most of the work into a small number of threads (so single thread performance rules) and some split the work across many threads (so core and thread count starts to play more of a role). There's very little you can do in terms of changing game settings that will allow the CPU to generate frames faster, it's basically controlled by the game engine design and coding.

The GPU has to render those frames. Higher resolutions are a lot harder / slower to render, and you can change graphics effect settings to make the job easier or harder. The efficiency of the rendering software layer (drivers, DX12, Vulkan, etc) matters to some extent but you can't control that.

There's also the monitor to think about. A 60 Hz refresh monitor can't display frames faster than 60 fps no matter what the computer is doing. High resolution (ultrawide/4K), high refresh rate monitors are eye-wateringly expensive.

So there's always a bottleneck somewhere, but it's not a constant thing. It depends on game engine, drivers, graphics settings, and resolution as much as it depends on CPU and GPU capabilities. Throwing out a number like 3.27% is right up there with the answer to everything in the universe being 42.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

since games can peg either the CPU and GPU differently, it needs to be taken on a case by case basis. WoW for instance hits one core really hard, while games like BF V can soak multiple cores/threads

This is very important to mention. I used to play WoW a lot and due to the game engine using a secure client server style processing it does force about 50-60% of its processing to be done in serial and can't be done in parallel so it is super CPU dependant on the single CPU core speed. It is one game that is still CPU bottlenecked if you paired an i9-9900k OC to 5.3 GHz with a GTX 1060 6gb card. Other games that use that same style of a secure client to server style processing will have the same drawbacks but there is usually a reason why they would use said engine.

Something is always the bottleneck that sets the cap of your FPS so the goal in building a PC is to have that bottleneck above the desired performance you want. I ran that bottleneck calculator with my system specs (gtx 1070+1800x oc) and it claims I got a larger bottleneck % but still under 10%. The better way to look at is does the CPU and GPU both meet the game requirements for the fps/resolution you are aiming for if you look at each one separately. I know my CPU and GPU are a great pairing so I am not worried about it since all my games run really well on my rig.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube