add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Checking before I buy - can 1700x go 3.7 on a 212 Evo? Higher possible?

ProgrammerPlays

7 months ago

Want to pick up a $150 1700x soon. Since it doesn't come with a cooler, I was gonna get a 212 Evo. I want to overclock my future 1700x to get it close to or better than a stock 2700x. (Current CPU is 2400G, Mobo is MSI B350M Gaming Pro.) Will this work? If it does, will I be able to go above 3.7? Like 3.8 or 3.9, which would be 2700x level (due to ipc improvements)

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

My 1700X runs 3.825GHZ (set speed, which seems to result in an "actual" speed of almost exactly 3.8GHZ under load) on ~1.2V with a Thermaltake - Contac Silent 12. I've installed a better fan on the cooler than it came with but otherwise it's nothing special.

The reason I have the Contac 12, is that it was a "convenience/emergency" buy at microcenter when I picked up my CPU/MOBO after my old motherboard went belly up. This CPU cooler is likely worse than either the 212 EVO or any of the other better recommendations in this thread. Despite that, this overclock still works fine and temps are in check. Averaging ~70C during P95 torture testing with some iterations pushing 75C. In normal use it's never this hot.

All chips are different and your experience will surely vary. My advise is to see how far you can take the chip on 1.25V or less for starters, as there's often very little or nothing to be gained above this voltage threshold except huge increases in power dissipation/heat.

You're never going to get a 1700X to match 2700X performance. The 2700X's aggressive, optimistic turbo keeps it above 4GHZ in almost all workloads. You'd have to get the 1700X to like 4.4GHZ fixed to roughly compete.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thanks. You are one of the few that is actually helpful on this forum.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Why you don't get a better cooler?

due to IPC improvements

Zen+ (aka Ryzen 2000) has a IPC improvement of ~3% over Zen 1 (Ryzen 1000 series)

So Zen 1 is the base as IPC concerns.

If it does, will I be able to go above 3.7? Like 3.8 or 3.9

Who knows...every CPU chip is different thus overclocking potential varies.

Also to notice, this board (MSI B350M Gaming Pro) isn't a exceptional good overclocking board, as it has only 3 CPU phases, and the heat-sink over the mosfets is nothing to write home about.

Lastly that Evo 212 doesn't help for getting an 8 core processor to the limits either.

So that duo (board - CPU cooler) doesn't reflect any confidence for achieving a high overclocking potential.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Can't afford it

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

First one no, second one I don't think so, it's not better from what I've heard.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

OK. :)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The M9 plus is an improvement of the original M9a, and even the M9a outperforms the 212 EVO, and both variations of the M9 are less than the 212 EVO. The heatpipe design is much better and will allow the thermal load to be taken off the processor much more.

The Gammax tends to sit in between the two in performance but is louder than either.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Deepcool Gammaxx 400

Other coolers

Check the temp differences. Same system is used on both tests!

It doesn't seems to be that loud!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah but reading the reviews it's AM4 mounting sucks. For the GAMMAXX it's a maybe but it doesn't look as nice to me. Looks way too Intel-y.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

What I have seen you need a BIG air cooler usually $45 and more (usually 5 or 6 pipe), and you have to be careful it will fit in your case. I got a hyper 612 and had to get a case that would fit it. I was looking for something quiet and that means definitely large, I can always put a faster fan (or second fan) on this 612 if I need more cooling but the thing is huge and should be quieter with the slower fan. Some other large coolers have dual fans and/or high speed, they can cool more and not be totally enormous like the 612 but can be noisy. Or of course you go with liquid cooling like most do for big OCing. 212 is good for size and price, but its not a huge cooler, if you want to OC a lot you need a lot of cooling. Your mobo is another issue, but you can take your cooler to another mobo anytime. You can pick up AIO water coolers for $50 if you look. If you don't have budget do what you can for now you can always get a larger cooler later. There are many tests of coolers on the net.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not talking of going over 3.9. I'm not aggressively overclocking, just pushing a little more out of my system.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a 212LED on my 1700 at 3.7GHz for a long time. It never got above about 68C, & the LED has a slower fan than the EVO. You should be fine with either. Getting above 3.7 is up to the silicon lottery, although with an X series, your odds are probably pretty good. 1st gen Ryzens run pretty cool, so you don't need to go crazy unless you really want to.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright. Heard the average X goes to 3.95 at about 65 on an H100i.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That might be a better bet to shop for a AIO if you want that speed. I see 120s for around 50 on sale. Your results should be better with liquid cooling though h100 is not little its a 240.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube