PCPartPicker

• Register

Where does the bottlenecking line draw for this CPU?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

MexAlessandro7 19 days ago

AMD Ryzen 3 2200G will it incur bottlenecking with the RX 590 or RX 580? What will I get the most performance with? RX 590, RX 580, or RX 570 with this processor? The games I plan to play are Fifa 19, Resident Evil 2 (Remake ofc), and Tom Clancy's The Division 2. Thanks in advance.

Comments Sorted by:

Allan_M_Systems 5 points 19 days ago

CPU bottlenecking occurs based on game selection, game conditions, various game settings, and performance goals and/or monitor refresh rates.

The CPU bottleneck "threshold" has nothing to do with your GPU selection. The 2200G will have the exact same performance limitation whether driving an RX 560 or VEGA 64.

Higher powered GPU's will allow you do run higher visual quality settings, and will raise the GPU bottleneck threshold for a given visual quality setting. This is a totally separate bottleneck that is dependent on conditions and settings.

Pick your CPU based on your performance goals in the games you want to play, period.

Pick your GPU based on your visual quality goals at those performance goals in the games you want to play, period.

Performance goal is largely driven by monitor refresh rate.

Visual quality goal is largely driven by monitor resolution.

Do not pick a CPU/GPU combination based on a mythical idea about how their relationship works. Under no circumstances will these components ever be more than the sum of parts. In fact, you can count on the CPU, GPU, or monitor refresh always being a bottleneck, so performance is always dictated by the weakest link and that is a moving target depending on many variables.

2200G works great for 60hz performance goals in most games.

If you have a 144hz monitor you want to take advantage of, you'll probably want to consider a better CPU.

cheezmeister 2 Builds 1 point 19 days ago

2200G is decent especially for the price, you would most likely not encounter bottlenecks in gaming. The thing I would look at is you potentially missing out on potentially much better CPUs for that price (and MUCH better deals on overstock 2200Gs) once 3000 series Ryzen rolls out following Computex (early June, CPUs should come in August). Of course there's always something better around the corner hardware-wise, but I think the jump from 14nm (and 12nm) to 7nm (and better motherboards) is worth the wait.

If you already have your motherboard, I say go for it. I have a 2400g, and would fully recommend that, the 2200g is also excellent in its budget. Just saying, you would be postponing an upgrade for longer than you would wait for 3000 series.

MexAlessandro7 submitter 1 point 19 days ago

I've been looking into the third gen Ryzen and have seen how Ryzen 3 is getting bumped to 6 cores 12 threads. The supposedly Ryzen 3 3300 will also have a turbo boost reaching 4.0 GHZ with a base of 3.2. Although they are rumored to be released on 7/7/19 I agree with you and I will still be waiting for those CPU's to roll out. I'm also really interested in Navi 10, so I'm not looking to much into my CPU and GPU just yet. Thanks for the advice ;)

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 19 days ago

I've been looking into the third gen Ryzen and have seen how Ryzen 3 is getting bumped to 6 cores 12 threads. The supposedly Ryzen 3 3300 will also have a turbo boost reaching 4.0 GHZ with a base of 3.2.

Those rumors are dead as of the reveal. AMD stated they had not finalized clock speeds and were a long way off from doing so.

There is no possible way for anyone to have model numbers, core counts, and clock speeds if they haven't even finalized the first silicon yet.

Kgluong 1 point 18 days ago

Third generation Ryzen 3 will most likely bump to six cores. You can see this in the fire sales of 1000 to 2000 series. Even threadripper is supper cheap. The cores war is real and amd want to win it. Amd will beat intel core count especially with 7nm gen 3.

You can go to amd reddit for the latest information on the 3000 ryzen.