add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best gaming CPU/GPU combo? Any brands

Maymora

4 months ago

Hi everyone,

Since my ex stole my awesome build 7 years ago I'm now looking to start again. From scratch.

I've been doing a lot of research, but the more I research the more complicated it gets.

I'm looking to build a gaming PC that plays all games on highest settings for at least the next few years to come and monitor to match.

My problems have boiled down to having the best CPU & GPU combo, then everything else pretty much falls into place.

However, with CPU prices varying so much I'm now lost on the best to get.

I've found that more cores isn't great for gaming and that it's best to find the highest speed, so am I right in thinking a 4.2ghz 4-core CPU would be the best for gaming? Could someone help me out on this?

Then to go with that, what is the best GPU to go with it? I'm all for crossfire/sli if that would be a cheaper option or maybe the potential to get a second GPU if future games need it. As in, for now, I just get a motherboard and GPU capable of handling a second GPU in the future.

I would really appreciate some feedback and suggestions on my first build returning to the PC building world after so long out of the loop.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 5 points

What are you trying to achieve. Namely in terms of resolution and refresh rate. What sort of games do your typically play? Depending on your answers will allow other people to refine there builds etc (trying to play a game at 1080p 60hz is very diffrent from say 165hz at 1440p in terms of hardware you would want).

Few points

• SLI and crossfire support is sporadic and not great for most the part so you want to ignore for most the part. In fact SLI is not even supported on most lower - mid range Nvidia GPUs any longer.

• For CPU, games do like higher frequency, but some games can use more then 4 cores. Given that 6 cores is now pretty standard for both AMDs and Intels mid range, would make sense to opt for one of those. Intel 6 cores are pretty solid for gaming with nice mix of core count and frequency, but once again depending on what your trying to achieve and budget, people will be able to provide more detailed build details.

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

"highest settings for at least the next few years to come"

Highest settings I assume implies 1440p 144Hz. Crossfire/SLI won't gain you much.

You'll want an Intel i7-9700K or i9-9900K. I recommend the 9900K because future games will likely heavily utilize the extra threads, and the 9700K is limited to 8C/8T. The 9900K will get you 8C/16T, with a boost freq of 5GHz. Combined with optimizations Intel has in the gaming arena, there's not much from AMD that will get you to the performance of the 9900K at this time. The key thing is that you said "next few years to come" and undoubtedly future games will find a way to use more threads and cores than what you might get out of a 4C/8T or 6C/6T or 8C/8T processor.

For a GPU, I don't think there's any question that the 2080 Ti is the best GPU you can get. With the Turing architecture and ray-tracing, along with its pure grunt, you're going to be able to handle stuff easily in the future. Again, if you want something that will play AAA titles at the highest settings for years to come, you need the best right now to make it last as long as possible.

Granted... the combo might run you $1500. But it's the most future-proof thing you can do.

Now, if you're looking for 1080p 144Hz or 1440p 75Hz, we will have different recommendations obviously. But without a budget, target resolution/refresh, or list of types of games, it's hard to make a more budget-conscious recommendation.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

In reality clock speed is irrelevant for gaming at 60 FPS. Good CPU choices in the mid range include the i5 8400 and Ryzen 5 2600, the 2600 has more threads and is cheaper but flighty slower single core speeds, which again would only really matter if you were doing 144 FPS. It’s a good idea to have 6 cores in a modern machine, as it’s pretty common and game engines will soon start scaling or more cores. GPU wise I’m assuming your doing 1080p 60, so an RX 580/590 would be the best value card to push 60 FPS in 1080p.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

if you want an absolute answer, then the intel i9-9900K and the NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti will net top settings.

But usually there isn't an absolute answer. The RTX 2080 Ti is not worth the cost, but it's the most powerful gaming oriented GPU in the market. A 1080 Ti would be enough.

It also depends on the resolution you want to play. A system with that kind of power would be over over overkill for 1080p.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

You forgot the Titan

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

isn't the titan a workstation gpu?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It'll still out-game the 2080ti. He wanted the best.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points
  • CPU's to look out for - AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Intel i7 - 8700K, Intel i7 - 8086K, Intel i9 - 9700K, Intel i9 - 9900K. These are my recommendations, you cannot go wrong with any.

• SLI is pointless for gaming. Recommendations = Nvidia RTX 2070, RTX 2080, and RTX 2080 Ti. On AMD side, AMD Radeon VII is their best card. Choice wise, if wishing to game at 4K do not look at anything other than 2080Ti. If 1440p gaming, 2080 or 2080Ti or Radeon VII. RTX 2070 if your budget requires streamlining. They are all great cards.

Use System Build Tab on this site and play around with different set ups.

One final piece of advise - there is no such thing as futureproofing. Tech is always moving forward, yesterdays best is today's also-ran.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the awesome feedback everyone.

In response to your questions;-

Future proofing: It looks too pricey right now to go for a £1500 cpu/gpu combo, so I'm willing to compromise on a system which plays current games on highest or almost highest settings.

Budget: I'm willing to shell out on better parts over temporary even if it means delaying this project for a while to save up. However, I am an impatient person and now that I'm looking at this I want all my components to arrive yesterday! I was looking to spend around ~£1500 that I've saved up on the whole setup. But when I say "From scratch", I'm also talking monitor, chair, possibly a better desk in future as my current desk is tiny. I'm willing to wait a few months for the chair and desk, but I have no monitor to speak of bar my laptop that I'm currently using. Just about all I have is a good keyboard and mouse which I'm happy with.

Game types: I was looking at AAA games mainly. Metro, Sekiro, etc. I don't want to ever see lag or compromise on detail quality.

Refresh rate: I was looking at 144hz, specifically this monitor so far: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/p8c48d/aoc-c27g1-270-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-c27g1 - So 1920x1080, 144hz, looking at Freesync, flicker free. And of course a system to match. I've not experienced anything over 75hz so far, so based on reviews I was really looking forward to the jump. (I realise I chose a monitor better for AMD's freesync, but it was the best I found for the money so far, happy to switch to nvidia favouring monitor if there is a better one.

SLI/Crossfire: On your feedback, happy to ditch that idea if it's gonna be better without it.

I will play a bit more with system builds and post it here hopefully today at some point.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Also can a mod move this to the more appropriate Part List Opinions Wanted forum?

I originally wanted cpu/gpu advice but it has quickly evolved! Many thanks!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

This is my build so far: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Np8Jr6

I already have a few items that are listed without price, so it looks like £1260 is fairly accurate for now.

What do you guys think?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you go :).If you have extra budget you could go gtx1660 ti and throw in 1 tb hdd space because you will need it. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor £169.98 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master - MasterLiquid ML240L RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler £59.99 @ Novatech
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard £89.79 @ Box Limited
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory £82.79 @ Amazon UK
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive £113.58 @ Aria PC
Video Card XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Edition OC+ Video Card £184.99 @ Box Limited
Case Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case £88.99 @ AWD-IT
Power Supply Corsair - CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £70.68 @ Amazon UK
Monitor AOC - C27G1 27.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor £221.82 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £1082.61
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-30 12:37 GMT+0000

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube