add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$150 1700x vs Ryzen 7nm?

ProgrammerPlays

5 months ago

Which should I go for? I'm probably gonna pick up an AIO so I'm not sure if I can afford the 1700x right off the bat. I have a B350 motherboard and my current CPU is a 2400G. I play competitive Minecraft at very high settings with extremely detailed shaders and I record/stream in 1080p60. I've been wanting to push my Minecraft settings higher but I haven't been able to because of my 2400G holding me back (GPU: 1070). I forgot what the prices were for the 3rd gen Ryzen 5's that are coming out. (1700x price is Micro Center) is there anything else I should consider as well? Thanks

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly since You need Now there is no point in waiting buy Now.

We don't yet know if the upcoming models will even be an improvement over current models giving the testing they showed for gaming falls behind current models in that title when paired with that GPU.

We have no confirmation on core counts or model numbers beyond AMD killing the rumors off by stating they have not yet finalized anything, so they could very easily keep the core counts the same at each model and add newer models above the current like Intel did.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't need now, it's sorta a "When I get it, it will be nice, but not having it won't break my system" kinda thing.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Then your best option is to wait and see what actually happens.

All we know is very little and what is leaking/firming up isn't good things for your uses.

1. Option for Data Fabric running at half RAM clocks instead of full clocks.

2. People testing a 2700X+VII are getting higher frame rates in the same title AMD was using for demo.

No 1. is just bad news no amount of RAM overclocking is going to overcome halving the data transfer rate, and No 2. if true shows performance loss versus current models.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kk

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't need it now wait for the 3r generation, around two to three months from now. It cost more of course. Price wise the 1700 is very good.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

*1700X

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Does Minecraft performance scale with Multiple Cores at a rate higher than scaling the single core speeds? Need to determine that, throwing cores at a problem does not necessarily fix it. If single core speed, an Intel chip might be best and nothing I heard about Ryzen 3XXX indicates it is going to beat Intel at that, who knows, we know little to nothing about zen2.

As for purchasing, unless a new chipset is imminently due in a timespan of days to a few weeks, it is not necessary to wait. Something better is always due to come out, within months, certainly within a year, this is true every year. If we play the waiting game, we will be perpetual lurkers. If you are sure the Ryzen 1700x will have a meaningful impact on your game's performance, then why wait?

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't wait honestly. If you wait for the newest tech, a new rumor could pop up, then you will wait again, and still not have anything. mean, if you just want to do the upgrade, and it isn't neccessary, then I would wait at least until Zen 2 release, then make a decision from there. By then, you might even be able to get a 2700 for cheap if the new stuff isnt what you expected.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Kk

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube