add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Over Clocking

I3illyI3adaz

8 months ago

Im in real need of some help. Im new to pc. I Built my first pc about a month ago. Now i wanna take it step further. I really wanna overclock this thing and see where i can push it to. i have a Ryzen 5 2600 on a strix x 470-f motherboard with a strix rtx 2060 psu evga 650 cpu is cooled by aio cooler. 16gb 3200hz ram. Im looking for some one on one help if there is anyone out there wiling to help me learn more about over clocking i would really appreciate it.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

I would say if you want have an easier experience as a first time overclocker, look into ryzen master software. It can help you determine your stable overclock than when you think you finally have it narrowed down, you can modify the bios to make it permanent. Nice system, hope you get good clocks

Of course youtube, be your friend. They have videos all over.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanx. Ive been watching diff vids and such. Just have some issues understanding some of the voltage stuff and maybe because things are worded diff from videos then they are on my motherboard. I did find a video that showed me how to do an automatic over clock and it boosted up to 4.0hz but when I do a bench mark test the scores seem very low?

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

When discussing voltages, often times they are referring to VCORE which should remain somewhat consistent amongst all MOBO's. Automatic overclocks often dump too much voltage in for a given clock speed, but generally on Ryzen you want to cap it at 1.35V. 4.0 is a good starting point. If you run tests and it's stable, you can either bump up the clock speed to see if you can get more performance, or start reducing voltage to try and find where it's stable.

What tests were you running that seemed "low?"

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I'm here to help. I built my first PC in July of 2018, but then built one for a friend in September. I have the Ryzen 7 1700 and he has the same one that you do. I have mine overclocked at 3.4 GHz (from 3.0 GHz) on the stock Wraith Spire cooler. The 2600 is a very good CPU and is a great overclocker. Unlike GPU's, CPU's have to be overclocked in the BIOS, instead of on the desktop. Unfortunately, I have the ASRock X370 Gaming X motherboard, but the experience is still the same for different motherboards (Even with Intel CPU's). First of all, to get to the BIOS, restart your computer and when you see your motherboard manufacturers logo, spam the DELETE key. For the Strix motherboard, there should be a tab at the top that is labeled "AI Tweaker." Once in here, there should be a lot of options of overclocking CPU and RAM frequencies and voltage. Go down to the "Custom CPU Core Ratio" and press the tab on the right. Select Manual. Below that should be 2 boxes. Just worry about the one on top. This is where you can change your CPU speeds. It is exactly 40 times the GHz that you want your CPU to run at. So for a 4GHz overclock, you type in 160 (4GHz * 40). Change this value by clicking on the box and typing, or using the + and - keys. If you overclock higher, you might have to increase the voltage. Just message or reply to this post if you have any more questions :).

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

And there is the Automatic Overclock tool from Asus (within Windows) that works also pretty fine, and very easily to use.

How to easily overclock your Ryzen 2nd Gen to 4.2GHz on ASUS X470 motherboards

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've never had good luck with the Asus automatic overclock tool using it on my Z97-A mobo with an i5-4690k processor. Crashed my computer every time after I "let it do it's thing". I never got to bench test any of the overclocks. Once the "tweaking" was automatically done, my PC crashed and it was done!!! lolol

I did the overclocking myself in the BIOS....no problems there.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh! OK, whatever suits you better. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube