PCPartPicker

• Register

What was the scariest part of building your first PC?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

TylerGeovex 1 month ago

Was it choosing a part list? Actually building the computer? Wiring? Setting up the OS? Even the massive cost, and not being able to afford all the desired parts? If you haven't built your first PC yet, what's your biggest obstacle? Or the thing you think you're going to struggle with the most

Personally I struggled with cost the most. Since I was 15 at the time, it had taken me a few years to save up enough money for a build. It's also a miracle I didn't blow myself up with the wiring. Thankfully it worked properly after spending all day building.

The purpose of this is to get some information out there for the newbros, about what the biggest universal challenges are, so that they can be prepared. For that reason I'd really encourage everyone to participate.

Comments Sorted by:

ProbablyProdigy 3 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

For me, I had done so much research and I watched hours of different "How to Build a PC" videos on YouTube. Honestly, I wasn't really intimidated by the process of assembling the PC. My biggest struggle was trying to figure out what parts I needed and making sure they were all compatible with one another.

My first build was under $1,000 including all peripherals, OS and even a computer desk so it was fairly reasonable if you ask me. Some people who I see on these forums jump right into a 9900K+2080ti build so yeah, I'm sure that's a bit more scary.

TylerGeovex submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I feel like what you did is the smart thing, stay under 1k for the first time just to make sure you understand everything. Do people actually go for the most expensive stuff possible on their first build? That's crazy.

ProbablyProdigy 3 Builds 2 points 1 month ago

I'd have to agree. I built the first one and after a few months, ended up selling it for a couple hundred bucks of profit. Took that profit, invested it into my second build, sold that for a crazy $600 profit and now finally, I am on my latest build. Which is currently for sale and hopefully next is an i9 + 2080 haha.

It does seem like a lot of people jump right into the top-of-the-line hardware.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 28 days ago

I mean its the same process for a $500 build as it is $5000, just with likely more parts. Expensive doesn't mean it will be harder to put together. That is ignoring stuff such as custom loops, sleeving cables, etc.

tragiktimes101 1 Build 2 points 28 days ago

True, but it's the difference between, say, a $100 mistake and a $1000 mistake.

nonoesimposible 3 points 1 month ago

When I popped out the Ryzen 3 1300X from its packaging, I wasn't sure if the grey stuff on the bottom was pre-applied thermal paste or plastic that was supposed to be peeled off. After a lot of Google searches I concluded it was pre-applied thermal paste.

Also, I lost the power supply screws and accidentally used longer screws in their place. I ended up screwing a pretty big hole inside my power supply, and eventually just used some spare motherboard standoffs to attach it.

ZFGeek 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

The hardest part for me was choosing the parts I wanted to use. I spent a couple months choosing, then when the parts were arriving, I was still debating. Build itself took a couple hours, and it booted first try.

Goodperson5656 2 points 1 month ago

Building it. The cooler was a bit complicated, having to install the bracket and all. Another scary part was when I got it ready to POST. I hit the power button, didnt turn on. Turns out the plug at the back of the PSU wasnt completely in. Youve got to plug those things all the way in.

romanvalkre 4 Builds 2 points 29 days ago

paying for it... I was so broke when I built Grendel-III (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CkH8JV). It forced some badly researched part choices (read not researched)

Found out latter that I dodged a big bullet with the PSU... every review of Huntkey PSU's I read said they were terrible, but the one I bought. The reviewers went out of their way to say this one unit was safe, and could do the wattage it had on the box. I learned my lesson... broke and in a hurry is not an excuse for not knowing what your buying.

Hobie12345 2 points 28 days ago

My first build wasn't particularly scary because I'd already replaced so many parts on previous PC's it was pretty much old hat, just doing it all at once.

I had a motherboard die on a prebuilt PC back in '93 or '94 that was still under warranty. Customer Support sent me a new motherboard. This was my second PC, a Pentium 2, and I'd never done anything like that before. Let me tell you, replacing that motherboard was the scariest thing I'd ever done. It was so satisfying when that sucker posted.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Choosing the parts was easily the hardest part and is the hardest part of any build if you aren't super good at it. It can take weeks or longer of research to figure out what you want, what you need to get what you want, and figure out what parts are better than others and why.

Building is the easy part if just watch a few hours of how build a PC and you build isn't super complex. I built my first PC is about 20 minutes( I think it may have even be less) although I had already the PSU installed in the case and cable management done ahead of time.

ProbablyProdigy 3 Builds 3 points 1 month ago

Ahh, my first build took about 3 hours haha.

TylerGeovex submitter 2 points 1 month ago

20 minutes?! It probably took me at least 4 hours. Cable management is the worst, I remember going back over and over again to make sure everything was plugged in correctly. But yeah, I would have to agree, picking parts is probably the thing holding most new builders back.

M0RKILLZ.twitch 2 points 29 days ago

Same here. I spent a ton of money on my first (and current build), didn't want to fry anything so I checked every cable at least twice along with watching one of Bitwits how-to videos at 0.25 speed..

It was worth it.

vagabond139 5 Builds 1 point 28 days ago

Yup. It probably helped that I was crazy active on here, I was far from being unfamiliar with the building process since I basically had it etched into my mind.

Siwini 1 point 29 days ago

Back in 2006 I had a pretty much simultaneous disk drive/hard drive failure, no internet connection, and no one within reach to help, I asked a lot of dumb questions, got a lot of blank stares and dumb answers, (big blue sign with yellow letters, initials B B), finally found out how to fix it, changed both devices, reinstalled windows, had to call Microsoft to get the license reactivated, YAY, I could play Sim City again. Internet access would've been a game changer, sure glad I didn't replace a bunch of parts that weren't broken.

ssjg5rlly 1 point 21 days ago

Blockbuster doesn't sell computers, silly. /s

PrivatePengu 1 point 28 days ago

Mine wasn't built in one go, so I think the first issue was installing Windows 10... God... Damn...

Countless of issues forced me to just re-install, re-install, re-install, constantly. Not enough space, some partition screwing things up, aaaaaaargh...

BlueSonata 1 point 24 days ago

For me it was waiting for price drops cause I had to rush to my nearest electronics store to grab them otherwise I'm **** outta luck

TheShadowGuy 1 point 22 days ago

The scariest part was throwing down the money.

Edit: Oh, or when I found the delivery person left the box containing my PSU on the driveway in the rain. That was fun. Newegg fortunately accepted an RMA and I got a new one that is in my rig years later.

Zowayix 1 Build 1 point 21 days ago

The fear of screwing it up and breaking something. Ironically enough, I did actually screw up and break something and have done that a few times. So I was right. So I'm the real winner.

Blackink 3 Builds 1 point 15 days ago

The scariest part for me was pushing the power button and waiting to see it it would POST.......whew! It did!!!

T56Impala 1 point 12 days ago

Building wasn't a big deal for me. I've been around these things all my life. My first build was an 8mhz machine back in the 80's! Prior to this Threadripper build, my last was when the Pentium first came out in '93? It was 100mhz processor IIRC.

The scariest thing on this build was figuring out, learning and translating all the terminology so I bought parts that worked together. Yeah, I found PCPP AFTER I started buying parts. The biggest hiccup for me was the custom cables. I ordered a set that claimed to be compatible, but were partially correct. After speaking to Cablemod, they directed me to individual cables to complete my build.

Software loading has always been a real pain for me. However, this one went very smoothly and updated quickly.

This is also my first water cooled rig. I am starting out with an AOI for the processor, but am planing on dual custom loops in the near future. Trying to decide now if I want to go with a multi GPU setup or not (Radeon).

manirelli staff 8 Builds 0 points 1 month ago