• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Hey_Im_Nate 1 month ago

I don't have my OS yet, but i'm in the mobo menu. Is there any reason my CPU should be 41.5 °C or 107.6 °F?

Comments Sorted by:

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 6 points 1 month ago

Also for the record, 41C is not hot for a CPU, not by any definition.

Hey_Im_Nate submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Oh, ok. What temp would be considered hot?

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 1 point 1 month ago

Well setting aside all the agonizing people do. As long as you're running under the thermal limits for your CPU (whatever that is) you're probably fine. At 41C you probably need to double your temps to get to the limit your CPU will throttle.

Before fussing over temps, you should probably do a little research to get some perspective of what normal temps are and what the thermal specifications for the CPU are.

As long as you're in basically the normal range for your setup, use case, and within the operating limits of the CPU you shouldn't have much to worry about unless agonizing temperatures is the part about computing you really enjoy.

BetrayedPredator 2 points 1 month ago

Thermal throttling is the safe limit for stock

Once you increase the voltage, sitting at 90C is less safe due to degradation

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin 1 point 1 month ago

Are we talking about every possible scenario? Did the OP provide you any information that he's fiddling with voltages? Or operating at 90C?

BetrayedPredator 1 point 1 month ago

There is two scenarios

Stock and overclocked

TheShadowGuy 1 point 1 month ago

If it's thermal throttling, it's too hot.

Numbers in the 70's C under synthetic load are generally pretty good. Once you hit 80's it's a bit high for my liking, and 90's you can start running into thermal throttling issues- which still may not extend into day to day usage, but my personal preference is not getting to that point even under full synthetic load.

You can check your load CPU temps using something like Prime95.

DaMysteryMan 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I would consider 85 under synthetic load a good place to stop overclocking, assuming your vintages aren’t too high.

Gilroar 1 Build 5 points 1 month ago

That is normal running inside the BIOS applies load to the CPU so it will run warmer then a normal idle.

Hey_Im_Nate submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Woah, thanks. I was really worried for a minute there. It's my first time building.

noneanyoneveryone 1 point 1 month ago

I wanted to chime in and support what Gilroar said. My CPU in the BIOS sits around 40c-45c, but in Windows it drops to 20c-30c (depending on summer/winter).

IamNotGoodWithUsernames 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

107.6 °F?

Sounds like regular day in may to me.

Anyways 41.5C is actually really cool for a CPU, you must got a low TDP or a good cooler because most CPU's now-a-days run warmer especially with overclocks.