add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC building, im a newbie in these things. can i have some opinions on my part list, and get explained about a note?

WEASELS

9 months ago

Heyo! im building my first pc, after gaming on my AIO Pavillion 23 that i got when i was like 6 and knew nothing, and my mom didnt as well. she dosent now as well. (btw, great pc, just not for gaming) so, here are the things i want: a good CPU and RAM, i play mostly minecraft and games like it, so i need good processing to get good FPS and no lag. (yes, for some reason the cpu and ram affects fps in minecraft) a CPU that loads things fast, because im not going to continue waiting 20 minutes for my modpacks to launch. a super cool case, because im gonna have the PC on display and i want it to look amazing, duh. dont mind spending a bit more on the case. wifi support, if less than 15$. if not, gonna save on that. only using ethernet on my pc right now, but i figured i can have one just to be safe because the internet connection providers here are just straight up bad. decent storage size, around 900GB - 650GB. i dont tend to play heavy games, and im using around about 400GB in my pc right now. chose 1TB because it seems like i cant get low storage value and fast loading speeds. MY PART LIST if you recognize a potential flaw in it, please edit and comment the link. i am also not sure about the fan btw, but its enough for me that it cools a bit above what i need, if it looks good. i also have the note that says "The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled." whats that about? will it affect me? my budget is around 1800$, so please dont go high above that :) also, what are some tips to get started on building a pc?

P.S. as i stated above, i have an HP Pavillion 23, and it has a pretty dang nice screen. can i use that as a main screen for the pc that im going to build, or do i have to get a screen? because itll save me time, effort, and itll look dang cool.

So, thank you for helping i you do, and if you have anything that you think i should know, comment it please :D -WEASELS

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

You don’t really need an i7, nice if you can afford it but not really necessary for gaming.

Your choice of cooler could be better.

Your choice of motherboard could be better, assuming you want to overclock you are better served with a stronger one.

You are paying a premium for flashing lights.

Storage is good, but expensive. M.2 drives use two SATA connections, it isn’t problem as most motherboard have at least six SATA connections.

Your choice of GPU is poor. The GTX 1050 is a low end card.

Your case shows as no price in that list. It appears to be $269, which is silly money for a case at this budget level.

Your power supply is too weak.

You don’t need a network adaptor, motherboards have Ethernet build in. Did you mean to pick a wireless adaptor (Wifi)?

I don’t understand what monitor setup you want, I’m going to spec two monitors (one for gaming, one for side working).

For your budget here is my suggestion:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $378.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler CRYORIG - H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $69.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
Memory GeIL - SUPER LUCE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $100.98 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB XC BLACK GAMING Video Card $349.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic - FOCUS Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.90 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - XFA240 bmjdpr 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $199.99 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - XFA240 bmjdpr 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $199.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1759.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-15 04:14 EDT-0400

Still i7, you could save money by going i5 but the budget allows the i7.

Cooler is a well recommended and a good price.

Motherboard is a strong overclocker, tests show it performing better than more expensive motherboard.

Memory is memory, if you want RGB stuff this is cheaper than your choice.

Cheaper storage.

Strong GPU that will run 1080p at max settings without issue. If you want to save money you could go GTX 1660ti.

The case is good but I recognise that case design is a subjective judgement.

High quality power supply of sufficient power.

Monitor are 1080p 144hz, they are also recognised as working with Nvidia G-sync.

From what you have written I have assumed you don’t what an operation system or other peripherals included in the build.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

ok, thanks a lot! im gonna learn stuff from what you chose. so, i want to adress some things you stated: motherboard: i really struggled with it, as i didnt know what to choose. thanks for that :) OS: yes, maybe gonna get it pirated. power supply: same as the motherboard, really. GPU: i wanted to go for the 1660 ti, but didnt find it when searched lol. CPU: i need a good one, as i need fast processing, as modded minecraft's FPS is mainly dependant on the CPU. Case: yes, this might be the silliest mistake ever. yes, this might be just completely stupid. I know. im just in love with the case. Monitor: gonna trust you on that one, but i rather go for a low refresh rate (maybe also 780p) 2 monitors and 1 144hz 1080p main monitor, that ill use for gaming and such, and the other two for other stuff. ill try and change the setup you suggested to my wills.

EDIT: part picking done! link the cooler is just one that had great reviews and specs, and is RGB. if the one you suggested is better, i dont mind the cooler not being RGB. also, if there is a black version of the fan you suggested and if its better than the one i picked, so i prefer it. also if there is a fan that is similar, it would also do. -WEASELS

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Recommending, suggesting, advising, encouraging, hinting, or in any way implying piracy as a solution or option is not allowed on this site.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

oh sorry, completely forgot about it while writing :x -WEASELS

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube