• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

TVinyard 1 month ago

Now that a lot of sites are collecting state sales tax, it would be nice to just have a drop-down in the account preferences With US State and Territory options, rather than having to enter the percentages into each retailer manually.

Just a thought.

Comments Sorted by:

manirelli staff 8 Builds 4 points 1 month ago

Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. You can't simply select a state and assume that is the correct rate. For example, in Texas has a range of rates based on a multitude of factors. Per the comptroller:

"Texas imposes a 6.25 percent state sales and use tax on all retail sales, leases and rentals of most goods, as well as taxable services. Local taxing jurisdictions (cities, counties, special purpose districts and transit authorities) can also impose up to 2 percent sales and use tax for a maximum combined rate of 8.25 percent."

https://comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/sales/

TVinyard submitter 1 point 1 month ago

Fair enough. So would the solution be a single account option (for example) that would populate into all of the retailers? Rather than a manual entry into each one? If not, it's not a deal breaker for me, but just something that I noticed and thought that maybe it could be simplified.

Keep up the great work!

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Not all retailers require sales tax payments in a state. For example, B&H just added sales tax for California.

Undefined314 3 points 1 month ago

I think it's best for each user to take on the responsibility of knowing sales tax rates for their available options.

TVinyard submitter 1 point 1 month ago

I mean that's fair. Just spitballing ideas to help simplify it rather than manual entries into each retailer.

[comment deleted by staff]