• No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Dreadvolt 1 month ago

https://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/?mfgr=AMD&codename=Zen%202&sort=name

I’m curious as to what pricing will be like for a 12 core 5ghz cpu

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Those are the leaked speeds and core counts from before the reveal which were confirmed as false in the reveal.

AMD confirmed they had not finalized clock speeds and were a long way away from being able to do that.

Also AMD confirmed the upcoming chips would in every case conform to the existing TDP and power draw profiles of the current models so they could be used on current boards.

Which is another indicator that those are made up figures.

Edit: Also since we know what power envelope they are using.

The 6/8-core models are going to have the highest boost clocks since we already have confirmation on 8-core CCX.

12/16-core models if they even ship will have to have reduced clocks speeds to keep all the cores within the power envelope set by the first generation Ryzen models, Or will have to be restricted to X570 motherboards.

AMD isn't going to want their brand new flagships creating a problem when people realize their forward benefits just killed their forward thinking motherboards that would be a PR nightmare which they don't want to return too.

mark5916 1 point 1 month ago

We don't know yet the exact core count or even the real stock and boost clock of these new processors.

I'm confident the boost clocks should be better, but I'm not sure about the real core count.

Here is an interesting find! (Start time: 0:49, End time: 1:25]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkx6Qg3z7kQ

Now, if 6-10 cores means, a 6C/12T or 8C/12T processor or something else that must to be seen.

Drente 1 point 1 month ago

It should be in the ballpark of around 420-440$, considering the 2700X's price per core as a starting point.

yawumpus 1 point 1 month ago

You might have to ask Intel (and with Intel, if you have to ask you can't afford it). You might also have to check with Silicon Lottery: 5GHz might require a golden sample (AMD or Intel). And certainly have your watercooling and power supply up to snuff. Trying to get 12 cores anywhere near 5GHz will take a lot of electricity, and thus heat (don't expect it on a current Ryzen motherboard).

I haven't seen a single image (except the photoshopped one on anandtech) of a two-chiplet ryzen. No idea when or if they will produce such a thing. This makes me suspicious of all 12-16 core "leaks".

5GHz is 16% higher than the 4.3GHz max boost rate on a 2700X. That's a highly optimistic number for an increase due to a process and redesign for the process, but possible (don't expect anything like the 25% increase on a GPU, the margins at 4-5GHz are tiny). But only expect 5GHz as a boost rate (which you might see in most games). No idea if the chiplet design will hurt: I can't imagine having the "uncore" soak up some of the heat wouldn't help overclock/boost situations.

shreduhsoreus 5 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Not that I have any faith in those leaked specs, but given that every other CPU lists it's single core boost clock as "max boost" it's safe to assume that 5GHz would be what a single core hit and the 12 core boost would be lower.

As far as the dual chiplets on Ryzen, the engineering sample we were showed sure looks like it was designed for that. Even if it's not confirmed to be happening, I'd bet it's something AMD is at least toying with. I'm not sure if this design will be beneficial for Ryzen, but for Threadripper it makes more sense than the current design with I/O on each die.