• No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Wrobo 1 month ago

Hi All,

I went into my BIOS (ASROCK Taichi) and enabled PBO - through the Advanced Tab - and I believe NB options.

Upon saving and exiting - and rebooting - this crashes my system. I go into the BIOS and load back to UEFI defaults and the system still will not restart. I had to restore the system - via restore point - to get through Windows.

Any idea why this happened or how to get around it? This is the 2nd time I have tried it and the second time I have experienced this type of crash.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments Sorted by:

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Clear CMOS.

iirc there is a button on the back panel of the Taichi to clear CMOS so you don't have to short the pins.

Wrobo submitter 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

Gilroar - I am confused.

Do I need to clear CMOS to reboot my PC - vs a system restore? Or am I to clear CMOS - to go back to factory - to try PBO? I am currently at the latest BIOS version for the MOBO.

Frugert 1 point 1 month ago

Clearing the CMOS will revert all changes you've made to the BIOS back to default settings.

PBO is unstable which shouldn't be happening so you got one of the barely stable 2700X which have been showing up with AMD flushing everything they have out to the supply chain.

You need to clear CMOS to reset PBO and ensure stability.

Like overclocking PBO is never a guarantee of improvement though as it relies on silicon lottery which you lost hard if the onboard A.I. cannot keep things stable.

FancySnancy 1 point 1 month ago

basically what he said^

Wrobo submitter 2 Builds 1 point 1 month ago

I cleared CMOS and then changed the power plan to Windows Balanced.

I then went back in and enabled PBO and my computer did boot. I ran Cinebench and the CPU burner from MSI Kombustor. I think that this gave me 25Mhz worth of performance, at greatly increased temps (Tdie = 75ish).

How can one definitely prove or disprove the 1-2 core performance boost under stock conditions? What program would one use?

If I am not seeing boosts to 4.3Ghz, in any application, does this mean I have a bad chip? Do I have any case with AMD for a RMA on the 2700x? Thanks in advance!

If I am not seeing boosts to 4.3Ghz, in any application, does this mean I have a bad chip?

The programs you are using run more then 1-2 threads so the turbo speeds will auto downclock as more cores stop idling.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_7_2700/16.html

You also will see the boost clocks start downclocking for thermal reasons around 65c.