add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What CPU for 1440p gaming; paired with a RTX 2070

Tylerb52

9 months ago

I have been getting some mixed opinions on which CPU to get with my RTX 2070. I had an i7 8700k at first but was told it might be a little too much and could save with an i5 9600k. I am not picky on Intel or AMD, I want to game at high frames and will probably do some streaming.

Let me know what you guys think, thank you.

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on what kind of frame rates you want along with what refresh rates your monitor will allow as well as what you mean by streaming Netflix or to Twitch/YouTube and how you are encoding the stream.

Gameplay/Netflix.

60hz then anything over a I3-8100 starts being very debatable.

But if you are looking at 144hz/165hz like many higher refresh monitor then an 8700K isn't unreasonable.

Streaming with CPU.

60hz get a R7.

144hz+ better start looking at a 9900K.

If the graphics card is handling the encoding then pick based off of gameplay.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I would like to get somewhere around 100 FPS would be using a 155hz monitor. What do you think of an i5-9600k with the RTX 2070? Also, I would be streaming to twitch. I mostly play shooters like APEX legends, COD, and Fortnite. I should also mention this will be my first PC and I am still trying to figure everything out.

• 9 months ago
  • 2 points

9600K would pull it off you would need to use the integrated encoder on the graphics card to handle the streaming workload either with the NVidia app or using NVENC option in OBS.

Another option would be using something like a 2700X and using the CPU to encode the upload stream. Performance takes a hit but you gain more quality and compression options.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Good choice on the monitor. 27" 1440p is definitely a great sweet spot for gaming (I've been using it myself for over 5 years now, though only at 60Hz). I'd recommend you get IPS over TN, though, as they can look a bit washed out..

The RTX 2070 should be pretty capable of giving you over 100fps on Ultra settings in most games. As you may have gleaned from CPU reviews over the last few years, at resolutions higher than the now ancient 1080p, there is very little difference between modern CPUs. As for streaming, I've read that more cores/threads in the CPU is a plus.

As such, I reckon you could save some money on the CPU/MB by going for a Ryzen 2600X with a B450 motherboard, and use that extra money to upgrade to an IPS G-Sync monitor, if possible.

You can use the (pretty decent) stock cooler, don't have to worry about overclocking as the X model does it for you automatically, and you'll have twice the threads of the 9600K for streaming/multitasking.

• 9 months ago
  • -2 points

At least an i7 7700 or ryzen 1600, these games rely on your graphics card more than your cpu. I can hit 90fps easy in apex legends with a haswell cpu and a gtx 1070 in 1080p. Don't know how much performance you'd lose while streaming though maybe get a 1700.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube