PCPartPicker

• Register

Ryzen 5 1600 such a low price currently worth it with the 3000 series coming out?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

tbrinck 1 month ago

Sorry to ask another question like this. Currently ryzen 5 1600 is $70 and may be able to get Staples to price match it .... Was going to go for the ryzen 5 2600 but it's a $70-$80 difference . If the ryzen 5 1600 with a radion 580 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 3200 on a b450 tomahawk would be able to play current game titles like assassins creed, far cry, etc on high graphics on 1080p? Not trying to cheap put on the processor, however I could relocate the extra $80 to other parts of the PC build . If it lasts 3-5 years I'd be happy, and would than grab a better processor .

Thanks for the help.

Comments Sorted by:

tbrinck submitter 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Picking up the combo Monday thanks everyone for the advice.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

If the ryzen 5 1600 with a radion 580 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 3200 on a b450 tomahawk would be able to play current game titles like assassins creed, far cry, etc on high graphics on 1080p?

Yes.

reyna785 1 point 1 month ago

It's a great deal for the 1600. It'll play today's games well at high settings unless you're expecting 144Hz. I'd expect the Ryzen 2000 series to drop in price when 3000 series is released, though not as steeply as the 1600. You could make an argument to buy now, but you could also make the argument to wait and see how things pan out for 3000 series benchmarks and 2000 series prices. There's a possibility 2000 series will drop in price, or even the 1700X for instance, when 3000 series comes out. There's also the possibility that the 3000 series blows the 1000 and 2000 series out of the water, in which case $199 for a Ryzen 5 3000 series would be a reasonable consideration.

If you want to build now, get the 1600. If you can wait 6 months, do so and see how the release and old gen prices go.

tbrinck submitter 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Makes sense yeah I can wait that time. Just hated to miss a great sale and end up paying more down the line As not only is that processor on such a steep sale it can also be paired with the tomahawak b450 Mobo for an additional $30 off. So the tomahawk would only cost $90.

The bundle price shows on the website but isn't working when you try to purchase it I'm told.

Works today just wish I was closer to micro center it's an hour drive so I have to tack on gas prices :(

Like I said was talking to someone earlier yesterday that wasn't able to and another poster here confirmed it was denied when they tried to bundle.

Got a verbal confirmation the one by me will honor the deal along with the $5 coupon currently on RetailMeNot.

Allan_M_Systems 1 point 1 month ago

I saw someone post about that MicroCenter deal in another thread and thought... No way there must be something wrong.....

Seriously $30 off combo is active on that and the price is $80... Crazy...

Have to remind ourselves that the 1600 is like... i7-5820K performance. The 5820K was a $400 CPU 4 years ago, and could only be installed on an enthusiast platform with expensive motherboards. We get the same performance today for celeron prices. That's amazing.

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

Grab the Ryzen 5 1600, your games will run just fine whether it is 1st generation or 3rd generation. The price is a steal.

If the ryzen 5 1600 with a radion 580 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 3200 on a b450 tomahawk would be able to play current game titles like assassins creed, far cry, etc on high graphics on 1080p?

Yes, certainly for Far Cry 5 and the vast majority of titles. Be warned that Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a very demanding title and will tax all GPUs regardless of settings. You may not hit 60fps across the board with this title. Even 1080Ti/RTX2080 will hitch frames at 1080p.