add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I add extra thermal pads to GPU?

connor333

2 months ago

I'm replacing the thermal pads on GPU, and I'm going to have lots left over. I noticed there isn't much thermal pad between the top of GPU and top backplate. So what If I actually added more padding to cover much more surface area? Of course it would be the same thickness and such.

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep the thermal pads, good chance one day you upgrade GPU and liquid cooling

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

It likely wouldn't change much if anything at all. Most manufacturers make sure that everything that would need some sort of heat dissipation has it. I would save the thermal pads for a later date.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

well, as long as it doesn't harm anything I might give it a shot. By the time I need to use them again (if ever)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

you might be voiding a warranty if you have one still

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube