add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Replacement for a noisy Antec TP-550 PSU?

McBainUK

9 months ago

My current setup contains a Antec TP-550 PSU which has become ubearably noisy :(

So, looking to swap out the PSU a new one which is quiet, good value, and would handle reasonable upgrades in the future. Would one of these be a good choice?

(update) also:

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

Both the Focus Plus and TX are solid power supplies with the Focus having a small lead in performance, full modularity, and quality but costing more.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Whatever is cheaper

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I would get the Seasonic Focus Plus, due to it being fully modular.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Both of those are excellent power supplies. Since you mention quiet, you could check out the Corsair RMx, which is a little quieter. You may also want a bit higher wattage supply if you get one with a semi-passive mode; it will have a slower fan speed for longer. Sometimes 650w or even 750w units go on sale for the same or less than lower wattage counterparts.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I would personally choose the Corsair RMx over the mentioned. Higher build quality than the two.

Focus + always seems to have some weird issue with it. First, it was the OCP was too tight, now the OCP is too loose. (240mV ripple when overloaded to near max) Sure, you shouldn't overload it, but even still, it's something to note and speaks how well the PSU is designed and made.

Hence I choose the RMx, which presents no issues. Excellent build quality, small, looks good, and silent operation. But if I had to choose, my personal choice would be the TXM. Everything works as it's supposed to.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the RMx tip, will purchase soon. Quiet and modular is good for £77 (Amazon UK).

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Those are both excellent suggestions. The imp in me wants you to buy a Seasonic 600w fanless, though. Now there is quiet. Oh wait, you said good value ...

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha. Tempting but I can cope with a quiet fan to save £100+ :)

• 9 months ago
  • -2 points

I would suggest the cxm 450w

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube