add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Under budget $400 Computer

Radriar_
  • 11 months ago

Since my old windows xp computer died I want to have another desktop at home that I can use and not have to use my laptop. I also want to be able to play some games like Fortnite and such like that. I will use windows 10 from transferring my account from my laptop to the new computer.

Main questions: 1. Is apu I have currently enough to play some games solidly like fortnite? 2. I heard dual sticks of RAM is better for overall performance of computer, is it really?

If I could get some of your guys input that would be great. This build is trying to stay under $400 and all I will really use it for is office work and games.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Buy a refurbished Dell workstation (4th gen i5, 8GB DDR3), replace the PSU and stick an RX 570 in it. This will be able to outperform the iGPU performance of either APU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grMla_k9jfo (guide for upgrading)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Video Card *ASRock - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Phantom Gaming D Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $46.89 @ OutletPC
Other Refurbished Dell Workstation (i5 4570, 8GB DDR3, 500GB HDD) $229.99
Other Mainboard Cable $14.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $421.86
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 23:34 EST-0500
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I little over my budget but I like it. The only thing is ssd, and I heard ssd is way faster for the overall performance of the computer. That's my only little issue, but overall awesome thank you for the suggestion as I will definitely keep it in mind.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want an SSD, there’s one available with one (it’s only 256GB, so you might need an extra HDD to back it up)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIAC0F8UV1688

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the link

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I forgot here is the link to my part list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Radriar_/saved/#view=sbf6sY

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Not, bad, but you’d get more performance from buying used.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I see

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I found the same rx 570 but for 10 dollars more I get 4gb more of vram

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

8GB 570s aren’t really worth it, unless you’re planning on playing more demanding titles (the chips can’t utilise all of the 8GB VRAM, unless you subject them to something more intensive)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I see, I'll stick with the 4gb

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you think the apu I picked would run fortnite decently because that's all I really play when I'm not working

[comment deleted]
  • 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the another suggestion. I like how there is enough money to buy a gpu. Concerning the 1200 and the 2400g which do you think is better overall?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

2400G has more threads, so on CPU power alone, it wins out.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

But the 2400G can only run PCIe slots in x8 mode, not x16, limiting your overall GPU bandwidth by half. I would go with like a 1400 or something.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok I will take that into consideration.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube