PCPartPicker

• Register

Do you need fast RAM with this CPU for better gaming performance?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

MexAlessandro7 1 month ago

I plan on getting a R3 2200G and hear that you need fast RAM for better intergrated graphics, but I'm using a discrete graphics card, RX 570, and RAM speeds of 2666MHz, I'm I all set, or should I get faster RAM? Thanks in advance,

Comments Sorted by:

mark5916 2 points 1 month ago

If you already have that Ram, then just keep it, otherwise - YES you could get higher speed ram. :)

Allan_M_Systems 2 points 1 month ago

Any money you are considering spending on faster RAM, would be better spent towards just skipping right past the 2200G and getting a "proper" CPU for 2019.... Bare minimum 4C/8T but seriously, the ryzen 1600/2600 are not very expensive for 6C/12T.

Double the CPU power of your build for like $50.

I'd rather have a 1600 with 2133MT/s RAM than a 2200G with 3600MT/s RAM.

Lower clocked RAM can be overclocked.... Cheap kits in the 2666 speed range typically come profiled at 1.2V. Bump em up to 1.35V and they'll usually run 3000 just fine.

Godzlegend1 1 point 1 month ago

Ryzen Chips take advantage of high-speed memory due to how their design works, Not just for integrated graphics performance (unlike, intel chips). As you can see from these benchmarks, high speed memory gives ryzen chips an all round performance increase.

My opinion, is that you should get at least 3000mhz. It shouldn't be that much more expensive but the increase is significant enough to be noticeable