add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

i5 9600k or i7 8700k?

TreeFlesh

8 months ago

what cpu would you buy for this build and is there anything else that you would change? https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TreeFlesh/saved/xsjfHx

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

9600K would cost less, 8700K has Hyper Threading. Do you want to save some money or do you want a little bit better multi-threaded performance? If it's strictly for gaming, I'd opt for saving some money. If you want to stream, edit video, do audio production, etc, maybe go for the i7.

I would go with a slightly better PSU. Corsair RMx or EVGA SuperNova. They don't cost much more, they are more reliable, more efficient, fully modular and they have 10 year warranties.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

sweet! ima go with the 8700k I do stream and record some music and I will definitely go with the corsair rmx. Thank you so much for your help

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want it cheaper...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $379.89 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $104.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $184.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team - Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $94.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB DUKE Video Card $729.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $76.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $100.00 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1891.72
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $1871.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 23:18 EST-0500
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

TBH, both CPU's would be excellent choices. For a machine that will be predominantly used for gaming, i5 is a good choice.

Alterations to your Build:

• I would get a lower end motherboard. You do not need a high end Z370 motherboard for gaming. A mid tier Z370 will work just fine. There are some nice perks with higher end motherboards but most folks do not need or utilize them.

• I would get an M2 2280 Nvme drive for fast OS boot and storage. Samsung 970 EVO @ 256 GB enough. The 1TB 2.5" SSD you have listed is a good 2nd drive but non-essential. I consider them a luxury you can live without - particularly if you invest in a much cheaper HDD.

• If you are a gamer with a lot of Steam/GOG/Origin etc games, get a 2TB or bigger 5400RPM/7200RPM HDD. Nothing too fancy, store your games on there, have them all downloaded, and then move / copy installation to faster drive as and when you play them. Some folks use external HDD for this purpose, your call.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I ended up buying all the parts from my list already >< so I’m kinda stuck with the 860 :( but should I get a second storage like western digital or seagate?

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh do not get me wrong, the 860 Evo 2.5" SSD is a fantastic storage device and the 1TB model is on many folks bucket list. If you already have it, keep it, do not bother getting an HDD unless you need the extra space. I was just floating the HDD larger storage as an idea. I presume you have not installed the OS yet, in that case, do purchase an M.2. 2280 NVMe SSD like this one: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/dkHRsY/samsung-970-evo-250gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-mz-v7e250bw. It installs on the motherboard itself, blazing fast, and a great place to keep your OS and your most used programs. Well worth the purchase. Once you install it, be sure to hook up the 860Evo to the Sata 1 slot since usually Sata 0 gets used by the M2 Drive.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Will definitely buy the nvme and put my os on that thank you so much!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube