• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Haze159 1 month ago

I am trying to decide what to do to upgrade my computer. I'd like to go to a mini-itx/mini-atx case like the nzxt h200 or h500, but I will need a new motherboard. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should switch from the r5 1600 to something like the i5-9600k or i7-8700k, or if i should upgrade my cpu to a 2600x or 2700x. I really just want the best gaming performance possible. My gpu is a gtx 1080, but i'd like to upgrade my CPU first since it's more in my price range. Any advice?

Comments Sorted by:

DrLitch 1 Build 2 points 1 month ago

Moving from ATX to mini-itx, you will be switching motherboards no matter what. Probably will have to reinstall OS. Opens up the possibility of moving to different chipsets/chips.

Strictly speaking, you do not really have to upgrade your CPU with any urgency, right now it is still a very solid well performing chip. Get latest mobo X470 or B450 in ITX form, keep your old CPU for the time being, and hold tight until you see what Zen 2 looks like. Decide then whether to stick or swim. Moving from r5-1600 to i5-9600k/i7-8700k is a lateral move, you do not gain too much of real world performance despite benchmarking tools implying a 25-35% jump. If you are going to move, consider upgrading to 8c/16t - Ryzen 2700X or i9 or one of the Zen 2 chips.

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

I'd like to go to a mini-itx/mini-atx case like the nzxt h200 or h500, but I will need a new motherboard

I really just want the best gaming performance possible.

Working off of these.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I should switch from the r5 1600 to something like the i5-9600k or i7-8700k

Since you are looking to change the motherboard as well they would offer close to the best gaming performance available currently.

or if i should upgrade my cpu to a 2600x or 2700x.

That path isn't going to offer as much of an upgrade from a 1600.

A Third option would be to switch the case to something like a Cooler Master Q500L when it launches which would allow you to use a MATX sized case with a full ATX board, Or you can pull off a simple mod and use the current Q300L.

https://www.techpowerup.com/251267/cooler-master-announces-new-mastercase-and-masterbox-case-lineup

Example of the mod in this completed build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4tNQzy

Haze159 submitter 1 Build 1 point 1 month ago

allow you to use a MATX sized case with a full ATX board

I'm interested. May wait for that. I do like aesthetics, the modded case seemed to have cables everywhere since there doesn't seem anywhere else for the psu, but it is still a nice case. Anyways, thanks!

I did something similar with mine for a little while but I cut a piece of acrylic and sanded it to hide the cables/PSU as well as defuse the aquarium LED strip I mounted behind it.

20 minutes worth of work and people hounded me to buy it when they took a look at it.

That sound's pretty cool. I have never considered doing any sort of case modding but this may get me into it.

I used this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Other Smiful LED Aquarium Light, Fish Tank 16 Color 4 Modes RGB Lights Submersible Underwater Crystal Glass Lights with Wireless Remote Control, 7.5" - Multi Color (Colorful) $14.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $14.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 12:06 EST-0500

It has a separate IR receiver which can be mounted where it can see the remote.

But I admit I am on the lookout for less then normal ideas for mods.

eesti 1 point 1 month ago

You could take advantage of that with some slick cablemod cables or the like

ooooh good idea

pcbldragain 1 point 1 month ago

You guys have some great ideas.

I have one of those USB LED TV backlights with a remote that will do colors, it is behind my monitor. It is 2 short strips and with some kind of mounting would light a PC insides very well. But is bare strips made to tape down, the led are covered so it should not short to anything. Could almost tape it inside at edge of window that would work. Of course the tape on them never seems to work that well usually have to get 3m. It was $12 or something.