add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My overclock temps okay?

connor333

5 months ago

I went for a safe overclock of 4.7 on all cores for my 8700k. I have a dark rock pro 4 cooler on it. Did not de-lid cpu (saving that for when I need more overclocking)

When running prime 95, the temps consistently fluctuate between 76/77 Celsius. Once in a great while will peak at 78 but immediately go back down.

Idle temps 34 C max.

Seems like this is a reasonable temp, but some other opinions would help me rest at ease, and much appreciated!

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

For Prime 95 those are really not bad at all.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know. It's my first overclock attempt and while it's a safe easy overclock for now, still can get stressful lol.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah you're right by the way in regards to prime. Tried some CPU intensive games and max was 62 C

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Temps like that You wouldn't even need to bother with a delid it isn't going to make enough difference to matter.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i think i'm set for a while. Only reason why I would delid would be in the future when I want to see if i can get 5 or more. Thanks for the help!

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah those temps are fine, especially considering that Prime 95 is known to cause CPUs to heat up more than most stress tests and real world scenarios.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I have the voltage on auto for now. When I have time I'll see if it's worth messing with to get it even cooler. (Still learning though)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I definitely recommend manually setting the voltage. Motherboards tend to set the voltage higher than necessary when left on auto.

According to Silicon Lottery's statistics they were able to get 100% of the 8700K they tested to run stable at 4.8GHz with 1.375v using an AVX offset of -2(99% at 4.9 with only slightly more voltage), so that's a good starting point. Keep in mind those tests were with delidded processors though.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

that's great info! Overclocking is addictive. I should be happy with 4.7 but now i want to push further lol, esp after you wrote this.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know where I might start with my current 4.7? I'm guessing you up the voltage in small incriments and stress test to see if it's stable.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I would start around 1.35v for 4.7. Stress test for an hour, if it passes, maybe lower it to 1.34. Another hour of stress test, if it passes, maybe try 1.33. If it can't pass at 1.35, try 1.36. Once you find the lowest voltage it will pass an hour stress test, do a longer test, 4-8 hours, to ensure stability.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube