add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel i9 9900k or AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x for Video Editing

jimmycortez

9 months ago

Hi Guys,

Looking to upgrade and can't decide between these two. I'll be working in Premiere and After Effects but Premiere predominantly. I need something fast for 4k multi-cam projects that are also effects intensive. Is the AMD TR that much better and also a good idea for future proofing? Knowing that the i9 9900k only takes up to 64GB of RAM. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the two so far, looking for some solid points to help me decide. Some are saying Adobe programs aren't designed to utilise all 16 cores yet, others are saying the opposite. Has anyone used either of the two?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 3 points

Reference for Premiere Pro. Reference for After Effects.

You have a complicated question. While much of the Adobe Suite scales poorly with high thread counts, there are portions like export that do benefit significantly. In my opinion, if you are working with primarily 4k footage, prioritize live playback along with After Effects, and don't mind longer export times, the i9-9900k is probably a better choice. If you work with above 4K resolution or prioritize quick exports, the 2950x is probably the better choice.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Extremely hard question. It is also a choice between a limited albeit functional Z390 chipset vs the Professional X399 chipset. It is also the choice between a build that may cost $4000 vs one that could escalate to over $5000. One build gives you a large amount of options, PCIe lanes, larger RAM, and so on, the other is streamlined but has all the functionality you need for most usage scenarios out there. Personally, based on the programs that you plan to be using not scaling well enough with cores to justify the extra expenditure, I would be tempted to go with the i9-9900K build. As long as 64GB of RAM is enough and you do not intend to be adding sticks in the future, you will probably be well set up with the Intel z390 build.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Adobe products have severe issue with running on AMD processors; you would most probably be better off going with Intel for the applications you have listed here

EDIT; if you want to keep a big boy processor, the X299 chipset by intel is a consideration you can make as well

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comments guys, that's really put it into perspective for me!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube