add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$2,000 Gaming/Streaming Build

MountainShires

2 months ago

Hello! My daughter and I want to get into gaming, and need some help. We figured all we had to do was walk into a store like Best Buy, and walk out with a gaming pc. Thank goodness they don't carry a lot in their store, which caused us to do some research online. Needless to say, we're now totally overwhelmed with what to choose.

Since we can only afford one gaming computer at the moment, the plan is to purchase or build one computer now, and then a second in a few months. The $2,000 budget is for the first one, and we'll have the other $2000 by mid July. Here's what we're looking for:

• Budget: $2,000
  • Use (gaming, rendering, etc): Gaming and Streaming on YouTube
  • Peripherals required (monitor, keyboard/mouse, etc): Suggestions on affordable G-Sync Monitors would be great. Also, silent or as quiet as possible keyboard suggestions too. We hate the sounds of clicking during people's Live Stream Gaming Sessions, and don't want to do the same.
  • Tower: Mid Tower (ATX) or ? Not worried about size.
  • New or Used Parts: New
  • Overclocking: I have no idea if we need it or should have it??
  • Color Theme: If it glows with multi colors, we like it! :) If we can change the colors, even better! Not picky if cases are white or black, as long as you can see inside. But, have no problem sacrificing colors for better parts elsewhere.
  • Games: We're looking into ARK, Monster Hunter, and The Isle, on Steam. Plus some goofy other ones. But, our main game will probably be "The Isle". Their requirements are: Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system OS: Windows 10 64-bit or later (64 Bit ONLY) Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD processor, 3.4 GHz or faster. Memory: 16 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX: Version 11 Network: Broadband Internet connection Storage: 25 GB available space

Needless to say, we want something more than those specs though! Something fast, quiet, cool running, and high FPS without issues while streaming live. It needs to handle the games, OBS, YouTube, some editing, and regular old surfing the web. The reviews on here seem to indicate that the Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor, and EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB, with 32GB RAM, is the way to go. You Tube videos seem to show the same. I just have no idea where to go from there!

This is what I can get from Best Buy with $2000: CybertronPC - CLX SET Desktop - Intel Core i7-8700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 240GB SSD + 3TB HDD - White/Red - Model:TGMSETGXH7907WR (There's a lot more specs on their website, not sure if I'm allowed to put the link on here). Any reason to buy or not buy that Cybertron?

Almost forgot, no Wi-Fi is needed, just Ethernet.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate a part list (or any other input)! My daughter and I are SO ready to start gaming :) Thank you!!!

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Your PC from best buy did not come with peripherals so this is what I put together. If needed I can change things out for your needs, but let me know

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $299.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Fractal Design - Celsius S36 87.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $115.01 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $188.90 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $209.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $77.77 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $84.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Black Video Card $729.99 @ B&H
Case Fractal Design - Meshify S2 Black – TG ATX Mid Tower Case $162.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $102.75 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2012.17
Mail-in rebates -$40.00
Total $1972.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-06 20:49 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 0 points

I would suggest something like the following build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZmRzTB This build contains a i7 9700k, which is an 8 core 8 thread cpu successor to the 8700k, and performs better in games. The extra cores will also help with your obs and streaming, and you can use the extra 2 cores for x264 encoding. There is 32 gigabytes of memory, all of which is rgb. This should help with the applications in the background. All of the rgb components of this build can be synced using RGB Fusion by Gigabyte, using the rgb ports on the motherboard. The AIO cooler on the cpu is rgb. The storage is 1tb of ssd storage, which should be enough for now for storage, and the case offers support for 3.5" HDDs if you need more storage. The graphics card is a 2080, which is superior to the 1080ti, and is the latest generation so it supports ray tracing. The power supply is a good quality unit from evga. The case is by nzxt, and is high quality with lots of room for cable management. [STAFF REMOVED] The parts list also includes 2 rgb led strips, as you mentioned that you liked rgb. It also includes custom cables from cablemod, which will make your computer look really nice. This all totals up to around $2100. if you get the free windows it is closer to $2000. This computer will outperform the cybertron pc, and will look better. As for monitors, i suggest either an ultrawide 120hz monitor (3440/1440 or 2560/1080) or a 240hz 1080p monitor, or a 4k60fps monitor, to take full advantage of your gpu. Of these, the 4k monitor would be the cheapest. Getting peripherals would likely add 500-600 dollars to this parts list. Hope this helps! P.S. if you build it, post it on here and tell me, i'd love to see it!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the time you spent explaining it all for me! I'll go check out the list and take a look at all the goodies :) My daughter and I are really leaning towards putting one together (as long as we don't chicken out first)! lol We're ok with going over cost a little, so we don't mind the $2100 price tag. Plus, any monitor we get, will go on a different credit card ;) Thanks again for taking the time to respond, and help us with this!!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. By the way. For your keyboard I would reccomend cherry mx silent switches. Blues, reds and browns are all loud.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome! Thanks again :)

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill take another crack at it as well. Just for some variety. Give me a few to put something together

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, that'd be great! I really appreciate you offering your time and input!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Use of Windows must be done with a legitimate product key.

Per Microsoft:

You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

For more information please see: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

[comment deleted]
  • 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The point of my comment is that recommending unactivated Windows is not permitted on our site.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

ok

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for making that known ThoughtA. Side note.....is that pic Inigo from The Princess Bride?? I haven't thought about that movie in a long time. Loved it! Now I'm going to have "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die" in my head for the rest of the night! lol Anyway, thanks again for checking in, and making the Windows term known.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yep! One of my favorite films and books.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

With how good NVENC encoding is now through your GPU with virtually no drop off in FPS. Personally, I would recommend streaming using the NVENC encoder unless you're streaming on a two PC set-up

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube