add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I5 9600k vs r5 2600x with rtx 2070

mahdi250

11 months ago

I am still on the fence if i should buy a r5 2600x or i5 9600k I will probably game most of the time maybe work on school projects from time to time my budget is around 1500-1800 cad Please I need your help

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

The 9600K can be overclocked to achieve both significantly higher single threaded performance, while very nearly matching the multi-threaded throughput of a 2600X, so in actual implementation, it's likely that a 9600K will consistently be as fast or faster than a 2600X, especially as a gaming CPU.

With that said, I'm not sure why these CPU's are being compared as options. They are not competing in the same price segment or target user.

The 2600X is ideal for someone who has no interest in overclocking, has a diverse range of workloads, has a CPU budget of ~$200 and is likely to use a value oriented motherboard and the stock cooling solution as part of an overall value oriented build.

The 9600K is ideal for someone seeking to maximize real-time workload performance, willing to overclock, willing to pay for aftermarket cooling, and willing to pay extra for a motherboard with robust power delivery to take advantage of all this. Implementation cost for the 9600K in this target market is much higher than the typical implementation cost of the 2600X.

Typical 2600X build approach:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $184.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $89.84 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $274.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 12:26 EST-0500

Typical 9600K build approach:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor $264.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS ELITE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $179.99 @ Amazon
Total $544.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 12:30 EST-0500

Dollar for dollar, the 2600X competes in i5-8400 space, not 9600K space.

Typically implementations of a 9600K often cost more than typical implementations of a 2700X.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $299.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI - X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ B&H
Total $439.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-03 13:04 EST-0500

My advise:

9600K or 9700K for min/maxing pure FPS performance.

2700X for gaming+streaming with software encoders.

9900K for both maxing FPS and streaming with software encoders.

2600X for value (cost savings).

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey don't stress over this, my personally opinion would be to buy the R5 2600x, as it's processing unit is a lot smoother, anything else I can help you with just hit me up.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you so much for your help man if I need to know something I will ask you I will probably buy the r5 cuz my budget won’t handle intel so once again thank you and if I need to know something i will ask you have a good day/night.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Conventional wisdom is the i5 for speed and the 2600X for multi-tasking. Which build works out cheaper for you? If you go for the i5, will you really notice the additional 10 to 20% fps improvement? is your planned GPU and monitor able to take advantage of that speed increase?

You're not going to go far wrong whichever way you choose, so I agree with Yayomock that you should do a couple lists, see which one works out best, and go with it. Don't look back.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your help but last question if I have a 144 hz monitor and a rtx 2070/r5 2600x will it be smooth gaming with no FPS stuttering? in sorry I’m just new to pc gaming

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If the monitor is freesync or gsync then I think you can expect a smooth experience. If the monitor has no adaptive sync then you might get the occasional artifact, but at the higher speeds I don't think it's as much of a problem.

You can't expect to maintain 144Hz / 144 fps on all games with either CPU, which is where the adaptive sync helps. Nvidia GPU's used to only do gsync, but recently they changed the drivers to work with freesync monitors. You do need a monitor with a decent freesync implementation and one that does freesync over displayport (not HDMI). I'm not real in touch with the monitor situation so I'm not sure which monitors have good freesync implementation and which don't.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are gaming at 144Hz 1080p you will get more dice out of the i5. Better processor for high fps 1080p gaming. Ryzen comes more into its own as a gaming cpu for 2K/4K. No question though, i5 is the gaming champ, pretty much.

Overall R5 2600X is a much better purchase as long as you are not hung up about losing a few frames if blitzing it over 100fps at 1080p.

Given your scenario it makes no sense spending more on the i5, particularly where availability and mark ups by reseller's are impacting Intel CPU's.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube