add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

ASUS Z390 Hero XI Wifi board with 9700K?

Randomizer23

11 months ago

Hey everyone, I am looking to upgrade my mobo and cpu. I want to get the ASUS Z390 Hero XI board and the 9700K. Ive heard that the vrm's are crap so can someone tell me what vrm's do and if I will be fine running at stock speeds, and if I can run with a slight overclock.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

You can feel confident without any issues that the VRM will be able to power the overclock as well as ensure full stability under load. Most of the negative response regarding the design is a lack of clear understanding regarding the choice we made for the design. The design implementation was carefully designed and developed to align with the requirements of Intel's current architecture. You can easily find a way lots of users who have used the board and proved in the real world that it runs without issue. I would also note UEFI ( BIOS ) is equally as important and this is an area ROG boards provide an outstanding experience.

Overclocking as a whole is a combination of the PCB and trace design, VRM design and power components as well as the firmware ( UEFI ) quality. All of these need to be achieved to ensure a smooth & solid overclocking experience.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the answer. Very informative!

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

The ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero/(Wi-Fi) would be able to OC an i7-9700K quite well, as that's a non hyper threaded processor.

And extra threads just means extra heat for the CPU, especially if you overclock.

Now, if you want something cheaper and more robust as overclocking concerns, get the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO board.

It costs way less that the ASUS Maximus Hero XI thus making it a first grade overclocking board! :)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, so is it fine if I do a slight overclock maybe 4.9ghz? I really like the look of that board and im not worried for price. So yeah, will it run fine 4.9ghz?

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't think the board would be the limiting factor with an i7-9700K.

Now, if you can keep the voltage below 1.4 Volts (the lower the better) that would be even better.

At worse, if you get a bad overclocking CPU sample, you may not be able to hit very high frequencies, so on that matter 4.8GHz would also be fine.

And just get a good air cooler.

For the reason, that the most air coolers are pulling air through the front fan and pushing it out through the fins to the rear and exactly above the Mosfet heat sinks.

And that will lower the temps of the mosfets. And you definitely want that. :)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok thanks so much!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube