add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Less VRAM on 2080 than 1080ti

connor333

9 months ago

I was playing Apex Legends and noticed the VRAM is over 9GB when playing on my 1080ti on 2k settings approx 100fps. Would this mean since the vram of the 2080 has only 8gb that performance would take a hit?

Comments

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Would this mean since the vram of the 2080 has only 8gb that performance would take a hit?

Nope.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1791-amd-radeon-vii-mega-benchmark/

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah i looked some up and noticed it uses less ram in youtube vids was curious to how that works.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Newer memory means they have to make changes to memory compression tech.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The 1080ti has 11gb of gddr5 while the RTX cards have faster throughput gddr6 memory.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

but seems like speed doesn't matter if you run out. Just trying to understand it.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

With GPU's a lot of games if it sees extra VRAM will use it as extra texture cache, if it does not see the extra cache then it simply fill accordingly. Does not make too much of an impact to performance and for most the part 8GB etc is more then adequate for the sort of VRAM required at 1440p and even 4k.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I just bought a RTX 2080 and it runs the game well. The problem with Apex is you can't even use the newest drivers because there is so many crashing issue's right now and thats even more common with the 2080. Although using January's drivers fixes the issue on the 2080..its not a great option. Hopefully Apex is patches and optimized soon. I've heard the 2080 runs Apex better than the 1080ti crashing issue's aside...

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you getting this intermittent lag with apex on the 2080? I rolled back to the same drivers you probably did and it seems very routine that there's a spit second lag taking place ever few seconds and it's very annoying.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I ask because with my 1080ti i had ZERO issues with apex. Then with the 2080 it's lagging like crazy and crashing Rolled back drivers to what you prob have but still it almost freezes for split seconds routinely then back to usual.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

no issues or crashes here with a 1080 ti

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

There is definitely an issue with 2080's and Apex which is what forced you and I to roll back drivers to fix the most common/frequent crashing issues. On the old drivers, the performance seems sporadic and while I generally never drop below 144 fps and its smooth ( while streaming), I'll occasionally get moments that you described and my frames will drop around 90-100. It tends to level out soon though, so i'll put up with it in the short-term because we don't have much choice. I know Apex/EA flew out some nvidia employee's to work on the issue at their studio. The problem its happening to so many different people with so many different PC configs, so its going to be tricky to solve. I don't think I get what you're describing as frequent. Its less freezing and more short term 10-15 secs of what seems like frame lag due to a FPS drop. I would try verifying game files and/or reinstalling it. Did you do a CLEAN install of your drivers? There is a "perform clean install" option when you go to install the previous drivers. I had more issues when I forgot to do this originally.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

I always use DDU when installing new GPU.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I heard of that too. I just did the clean install check mark box as i find it quick and easy.

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the only answer is that the 8gb ram in 2080 is faster than 11gb. I'm no expert but seems like once your out of ram, you're out. A shame they didn't include at least 11gb like the 1080 ti

• 9 months ago
  • 1 point

The 9gb of ram is only allocated ram, there is no current way to see how much vram is actually being used. Allocated ram can be deceiving.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube