add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

2080's and freezing issues...

connor333

12 months ago

I'm interested in getting a gigabyte 2080 OC due to performance and how quiet it runs, but there seemed to be a bad run of them involving memory. Has this been resolved? From some research it seems like it's the ones with Samsung memory that dont' have problems. So if amazon get's a restock is there a good chance those will be the ones that work okay?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

A lot of the problems were driver related, which have been dealt with, and some hardware incompatibility (mainly with high refresh 1080p monitors) which are hit and miss. Also, EVGA has/had an issue with the old Precision XOC causing BSOD. Easy fix is to delete and install Precision X1 (which you should anyway since it's much newer and works better).

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

I just upgraded to that specific 2080 on Sunday. It runs fine for me, but I get a whine noise on it when I'm playing Apex legends. It goes silent when I'm on my desktop and the game isn't maximized. Not sure if the sound is normal or not..I haven't done research yet.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

good o'l coil whine! What kind of 2080 did you get?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

That's the one I'm getting Tuesday. How loud is the coil whine? I'm returning mine if it has it

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

If you are buying it in person, price match it if you can. I believe Amazon was $30 cheaper when I bought it at Microcenter so they matched. I have my PC on my desk directly behind my 2nd monitor on the left. I have an h500i nzxt case. It's quiet for sure, but I hear it when my headset is off. I do not hear it when gaming obviously because it won't take much to drown it out. Coin whine is normal, correct? Just some cards find ways to get rid of it? This card is obviously more of a budget 2080 if that exists lol.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i bought for 709 on amazon. Currently it's on newegg for about 675 with coupon if i'm not mistaken.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Was there ever actually an issue or are the failure rates similar to previous cards?

Last I read about this issue after some data had been gathered for 3rd party retailers, the return rates were under 3% which were deemed "normal" (and even a good portion of those returns were not necessarily for a failure).

Anyone else have some decent sources with more data on the issue?

At first glance, this just seemed like a lot of cognitive bias due to hearing more about the failures than the successes. It doesn't seem like enough to prevent me from making a purchase. Certainly not if purchasing from a reputable retailer that will honor a warranty or exchange if the card fails within a certain period of time.

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Failure rates were entirely normal for the 2080ti non-reference (and it was mostly Founder's Edition cards)

The 2080 didn't have the same issues, and the reference issues got fixed quickly

You heard a ton about a problem that didn't exist

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube