add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What causes this GPU fan noise?

connor333

3 months ago

My fans only make this sound at around 30% speeds so I don't hear it much. It almost sounds like wind howling. Below is a quick video (it's dark so you are looking at the top of the case) and at the very start you can hear the "howling...wwoooo woooo woooo," noise. It's a 1080ti sC2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04aVxMEUHyk

Update: After reading forums looks like it's common for the 10 series cards to make such noise due to style of fans: https://forums.evga.com/whistling-howling-noise-GTX1060-35-37-fan-speed-m2658076.aspx

Love the power of the 1080ti, but was so spoiled by the quietness of my good o'l 970 lol

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I have complete silence in my 1080ti in SLI with another card, but I have not overclocked any of them, have you overclocked your card, or is anything perhaps covering one of your fans?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

is it an EVGA? I don't overclock though the sc2 def. boosts itself. When fans are at 30% it's basically cooling down after a game.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

You can try out some different fan profiles to balance cooling vs sound level more to your prederence.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i have that I was just being cautious with the sound. Making sure a fan wasn't off balance and such

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube