add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Max watts on power supply

Hgproks

10 months ago

Hi, I am going to be adding a graphics card to my son's computer. According to pcpartpicker.com the total wattage with the new graphics card will be 295watts. The power supply in the pc is a corsair bronze semi mod 450watt. Will that work? Is their a certain % of a power supply rating you can go up to? Thanks

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

what is the rest of the pc specs? The graphics card isn't the only thing that draws power.

If you don't know I would say probably not. You can go all the way up to the power limit, but efficiency and reliability goes down. Peak efficiency usually occors at about 60% load, so considering that card will likely draw 350 watts at full oc turbo, and a high end consumer platform can often draw 200 watts, I would get at least 650w, but recommend a 750w. It also matters which power supply you get. For example, this power supply is vastly inferior to this one even though they are the same brand and wattage. The supernova is much more efficient and has much better ripple control, and a longer life expectancy than the generic one.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

650W is high for most uses and 750w is far in excess to what is required for a standard build. You're right that we need more specs to be sure. But, the max wattage pulled won't necessarily be the area you want to shoot for ~60-80%. You'd need to figure out what you wattage the system stays at most often and then determine if that's the most efficient mark to shoot for the 60-80% target.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

This isn't a normal video card. Very few single GPU cards can get near the 300w mark. I agree with you most of the time, but I don't know what the heck is going on here. Even GTX 480s don't pull 300w.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe they stated the total system power draw rather than the GPU power draw. That's likely where the confusion came from.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

When you start seeing smoke, you've gone too far.

For real, so long as PCPP's estimated wattage is below that of the PSU rating you'll be find. PCPP has a fairly liberal wattage estimate to give wiggle room.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks. The whole build with apu, ram, hard drives, etc..and the new graphics card is 295 watts. I was planning to get the rx580 but I can probably put the rx570 in to save some watts. Both the 570 and 580 were recommended in another post I had.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

450w would be plenty for that. It would likely be enough for an RX-580. But, it would certainly be enough for the RX-570.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube