add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Basic overclock questions

connor333

11 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/connor333/saved/#view=kncq4D

This will be my first time overclocking a CPU. I've read up on it and I believe I understand how it works, but a couple of things that ppl seem to not cover -

1) Let's say I'm able to overclock to 5ghz on all cores. When you overclock, does the CPU always run at that speed, or only when it needs to, like when you're playing a demanding game?

2) I understand temps will go up, and kind of same question as 1. Will they consistently be up or when it's under load?

3) finally, should I expect to hear my cooler more even when idle? For example, some ppl overclock their GPU's and don't mind the extra fan noise, but I'm sensitive to a loud PC.

Thanks.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

1) No, or at least not typically. The cores will lower to idle speeds when there is no load, usually 800 MHz or so. You can depending on parmeters you change force it to stay at 5 GHz on the cores (though that does not equate to 100% CPU usage) either by BIOS by tweaking relevant settings or setting Max performance power plan in windows.

2) Temps will go up when under load. Usually a 5GHz all core overclock will need more voltage which means higher temps. With that said, with typical loads like games, it will be rare usually for all 12 threads to be fully loaded so overall temp of CPU will usually not be as high compared to say a synthetic test. You may see some change in temps at idle speeds also, but once again depends how you tweak things and even then, its not usually that significant, its the under load temps.

3) No. At idle the load is obviously pretty small so the CPU will not usually be at high temps therefore the cooler should be running pretty quiet.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, and what about the auto overlcock that's in the bios? Is that safe to try out?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

NO. Don't ever use auto-overclocking tools, it will often put the CPU under a very unsafe voltage just to make sure 100% of chips are able to hit whatever speed it sets, when in reality 95% of those chips can do the same speed at a much safer voltage with less harm done to the CPU. If you use that auto overclock tool, you may find the CPU fried in a few months time.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Good to know, I had that feeling so dind't want to try it heh

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

You are familiar with setting voltages/voltage offsets? It's required for heftier overclocks, at 4.6+

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah i get the general idea of it. I'm very cautious when it comes to this stuff.

I'm going to hold off on overclocking anwyays. I thought it might help with a particular game with studdering problems, but looks like it won't be fixed with that. The other games I play have no prob reaching frame rates I want at boost speeds at this point.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I’m going to kill your dreams, without a delid you will not overclock an 8700k very far due to temperatures

1. Depends on your settings, but generally no

2. Depends on your voltage settings (fixed vs offset), but generally idle should stay the same

3. No, but depends on #2

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

i've been happy with boost speeds so far anyways (4300mhz on all cores). I'll see how far I can push it when I need to and don't mind going down the road of a delid.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube