add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Tuning front case fans to CPU temps help

connor333

10 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/connor333/saved/kncq4D (except I have two 140 PWM fans on the front case)

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this -

I would like to have my Be quiet front intake fans x2 to turn higher with cpu temps. The problem is that when I'm not gaming I can hear them ramping up quickly then dying back down. My theory is that the dark rock cpu cooler kicks in and cools off the cpu so well that the temps go immediately back down. Note: I haven't overclocked the CPU yet because the turbo speeds are more than adequate right now.

Do you happen to have a custom fan curve where the fans don't ramp up and down so obviously? It's not terribly loud by any means, but seems unnecessary.

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

I have nothing to offer that andyshinn hasn't already said, except, nice build. I really dig it.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. Only trouble was the GPU. Got on ebay with person that said, "like new, runs like new.." he had a great reputation, but this thing was dirty and loud until i cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste to GPU.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

What is likely happening is that the CPU die temperatures are jumping with little spikes in CPU usage. Even at idle, background tasks (an update for example) will spike CPU usage enough to jump the internal CPU die temperature for a split second.

According to the manual at http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z370%20Extreme4.pdf there are some fan "step up" and "step down" timings that can be adjusted.

There are two things I'd look at adjusting to help with this:

• Crank up the "step up" and "step down" timings which should slow down the changes in fan speeds (ie. change to something like 5 seconds would mean that spikes lasting less than 5 seconds wouldn't be enough to change the fan speeds).
  • Confirm if the temperature source for the fan header is the CPU die temperature or the motherboard sensor under the actual CPU socket. The die temperature can fluctuate rapidly. If you can change it to a probe on the motherboard CPU socket itself then this would more slowly change with the CPU temperature and thus ramp up more slowly.
  • 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! I did an experiment and cranked the two 140 fans in the front while GPU stress testing, and the impact was minimal, if at all. So for now, I simply have them at a constant 40% since it's not loud at all, i think it's around 800rpm. That seems to get enough hot air out of the case without being loud.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

However, there must be software that curves fans with GPU. Surprised I can't do that on my motherboard, but oh well.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, you never mentioned GPU. Usually, you can tune GPU fan curves in third party software such as:

• EVGA Precision X
  • MSI Afterburner
  • Riva Tuner

You don't necessarily need to use the software from that manufacturer. For example, I use MSI Afterburner with my nVidia Founders Edition card.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I'm using MSI right now to curve GPU fans. But what I'll look for is something that will curve case fans WITH the GPU temps.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

That gets a little more difficult but within reach. I know that the Corsair Commander Pro with their iCUE software can drive fans based in other temps. Other fan controllers external of the motherboard should support this as well.

A bit more expensive and custom solution would be something like the Aqua Computer aquaero. I use one to drive my fans based in temperature probes in the case. The Commander Pro and some higher end motherboards also have external temp probes where you might be able to slip one between the GPU cooler and fans to get idle vs loaded temp readings and base fan controller curves on the delta.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube