add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU fans almost 70% under load

connor333

11 months ago

I bought a 1080ti SC2. I took the chance and bought one used, and have been impressed with performance with one caveat: fan noise. I haven't noticed it being so loud past month but think a game finally pushed it. (Resident evil 2 remake at 1440p 144hz)

This GPU seems considerably louder than my good o'l gtx 970 under load.

Temps: When playing for a long time, they can reach up to 77, usually average of 75 when under full load. Fans peak at 68% speed.

I have the GPU in a fracture design meshify C and a be quiet 140mm fan spinning in front of it. Air flow shouldn't be a problem.

Reviews say that this gpu is louder than others with the tradeoff of more performance, but gamernexus (youtuber) said the card doesn't spin above 50% under full load.

Should this be something to be concerned about? I'm thinking of having the fans max out at 60%

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Reviews say that this gpu is louder than others with the tradeoff of more performance, but gamernexus (youtuber) said the card doesn't spin above 50% under full load.

How high the fan spins up is going to be based on temperature, and if Steve and Gamers Nexus tested at a lower ambient temperature then your card is in you would expect his fans to not spin up as fast.

Should this be something to be concerned about? I'm thinking of having the fans max out at 60%

No, 77C is not that hot. If you lower the max frequency of the fans your temperatures will rise. You bought a card that does not try and be quit, but push performance.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

ah thanks for feedback. It's just a monster compared to my 970 and did't expect it to be much louder.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem.

One thing you could do add a second 140mm fan to the front of the case. More air flow through the case may help to bring down the temps in the case and lower the overall system temp. Which in turns lowers your GPU needed fan speed.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Yeah that's what I did. I have two 140mm dark rock pro 4's PWM. I have the one in front of GPU turn a little faster as temps increase since the CPU remains at really good temps with the dark rock pro 4.

I did notice some good heat coming out of back end through the top. So I'm going to add another 120mm fan on the top of case.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I may have already responded to you in a previous post but trying to update everyone - reapplied thermal paste and very satisfied with results. 77C is still there, but fans haven't reached past 48% yet. And this is under full load for extended period of time. Not the 75%-90% while I play a game. Good results!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube