add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Samsung 970 versus 970 Plus

vwcrusher
  • 14 months ago

Just read a review that states the Plus is actually slower than the 970 based on third party benchmark testing. Testing using Samsung's utility shows much different results.....Difference in price is pretty small - wonder if it's worth it.

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

What are your use cases? Cause if you're just looking for an ssd, something like the crucial mx 500, Samsung 860, western digital blue ssd, etc would work well for you, and they're all cheaper than the 970.

Many people pick the 970 for its faster speeds, but unless you are moving large files between other nvme drives or a server of some sort, I see no reason to pay more for a nvme drive. But that's just me.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply....use will be in a 9900K-based system built for video editing (Premiere Pro) and some gaming. Unlike many others, Live Edit is important, more so than rendering.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Gaming wise, you probably know that nvme vs sata is basically no difference/ worth the extra couple hundred dollars.

Unfortunately, I don't edit videos so I'm not familiar with premier pro. Don't know what live edit is either, I wanted to assume something like that is more ram based than storage speed based but like i said, I'm not to familiar with it.

See if this video might help you out. Again, I don't think nvme will give you that big of a different between sata, but maybe someone else can give some more insight.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info....I did look at the video, and I also read the comments below. One in particular caught my attention:

NVMe SSD as source/target drives don't help much, but if you're in a program like Premiere that relies HEAVILY on cache/scratch files, etc., they can help a TON with overall latency and responsiveness´╗┐

Premiere Pro is the application that will be used, so hopefully, it is a wise purchase (when they become available). In the meantime I'll look for more reviews.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

I can't find any of the 970 plus being sold yet.

• 14 months ago
  • 1 point

They've got the same longevity & better Sequential & Random Writes.

The real world impact between the 970 Evo, Evo Plus & Pro models is basically nonexistent.

It appears the real biggest difference is that Samsung appear to be trying to corner the market with a super low price to push NVME M.2 drive uptake to the next level.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube