add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with case fan/positioning

TarksInigo
  • 14 months ago

Hi there!

I would like to ask for help/suggestion. I'm torn between the NF-A12x25 PWM and NF-S12A PWM. I'm looking for the better case cooling solution. After I choose which fan would be better for case cooling I'll need to know where and how I should place them in my case. I'll be using a NF-A14 PWM on the back of the case to exhaust air and an NH-D15 SE-AM4 for my CPU. I won't be using any radiators. So the only question remaining is where should I place my case fans, and how much would intake/exhaust the air? I was thinking of putting three 120mm fans on the front for intake and three 120mm fans on the top for exhaust, or maybe two 140mm fans on top instead of the three 120mm ones for better balance between intake/exhaust? I am building my first ever PC and I'm kinda lost. Also If I use the 12V ones, and my Motherboard only has 3 Chassis Fan connectors, then where should I plug my fans to be controllable? I have an NZXT Grid+ v3 but it only has 5V connectors.

Sorry for this essay but I really need help.

Thank you for your help in advance!

/My case is an NZXT H700/ /My motherboard is an ASUS Prime X470-Pro/

Comments

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

Of those two fans the A12x25 is a better fit, since it's an all purpose fan where the S12 is more optimized for pushing through radiators.

mack_au has a better answer IMO. I haven't looked up what that case comes with, but a couple intakes on the front and the one rear exhaust (and maybe a top) ought to do the job unless you are running a seriously hot GPU. I'm guessing you have a 2700X which will put out some heat but nothing like an overclocked Intel heater.

• 14 months ago
  • 2 points

actually, the s12 is more airflow optimized. I would recommend the a12x25 in front where most of the impedance usually is and slap the s12 fans on the back/top.

• 14 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes, you are correct. I get it mixed up with the NF-F12.

• 14 months ago
  • 0 points

Your case will already have 3 fans in the front and 1 in the rear.

I'd just get another 140mm Aer F fan in the top slot and leave it at that. It should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube