add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ultra-Wide or 4K?

ewhac
  • 13 months ago

I recently upgraded the GPU in exiguous to a GTX-1070 Ti, and am now eyeing my monitors for an upgrade. Right now I'm running dual head 1080p (on a pair of AOC I2269VWs), and have long just assumed I would jump straight to 4K.

However, I have one of these at work. I'd never before been a fan of ultra-wide screens, much less curved panels, but working on this for the last three months... It's kinda neat. I can have the display filled with five editing panes filled with source code. I imagine editing videos would become much more entertaining :-).

Back in the day, I used to be a huge player of twitch FPS games, playing QuakeWorld well beyond its shelf life, and still firing up Q3A and Xonotic from time to time. Nowadays I tend to play slower paced games, but low latency and high frame rates are still important to me. An ultra-wide 1440p panel has fewer pixels than a full 4K panel so peak frame rates should be higher. OTOH, not all games handle the extreme aspect ratio correctly.

So, opinions sought. What might you suggest? What downsides to one or the other have I not considered?

EDIT: A detail I neglected to mention: Despite my abiding interest in games, the display must be IPS/wide viewing angle. TN panels need not apply.

Comments

• 13 months ago
  • 2 points

Honestly, I run an LG 34 inch flat panel ultra wide, 2560x1080. I know it's common for people to say the pixel density is too low especially on such a large display however I've had no issues at all with this res. It's sharp, clean, and allows me to max settings with high frame rates on my rig (i5 7600k, GTX 1070 G1 Gaming)

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

40" viewing distance is optimal for that screen. It's not like you have to sit halfway across the room the stop seeing pixels. Even if you're sitting closer than that it's still not that bad.

Most people who talk about pixel density and screen sizes don't have a clue what they're talking about anyway, so I tend to ignore them.

With my 32" 1080p display I'm currently using lol.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Right? I just upgraded from a 24" Samsung 60hz 1080p panel to LG - 34UC79G-B, and I love it. Picture is stellar, so far all games I've tried support it (BFV, Overwatch, WoW, HOTS, BO4, Anthem). Going from 60hz to 144hz is a much bigger leap than I had thought. I'd probably need a very special screen to go back to something not ultrawide in the future.

[comment deleted]
  • 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Whats your budget for a monitor? Currency?

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's arbitrarily call it USD$625.00.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I would actually go for 1440p 144 Hz instead, mainstream 4k gaming is still quite a bit always still. 1070 won’t quite be able to juice out 60 FPS, and certainly on max settings.

• 13 months ago
  • 1 point

I would check what games you plan to play at ultrawide. The games I play people are very upset when ultrawide isnt' supported.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube