add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

woops, installed Ram in wrong slots...

connor333

10 months ago

I have an asrock z370 extreme 4 motherboard, and I placed 3200 ram in A1 and B1 slots. When I look at the manual I realized that I may have placed them in the wrong slots, as a diagram shows a2 and b2 to be taken up first, if I'm not mistaken.

How much will this affect my PC? I haven't configured the ram to run at 3200 yet, believe its at 2133. I'd hate to rip up the cpu cooler and reapply paste because I have a dark rock pro 4 covering up the ram slots.

Everything appears to be running fine so far...

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 3 points

If it works it works. :)

If its showing as dual channel 3200Mhz once you enable XMP , then you're totally fine. If you run into problems getting it to be dual channel 3200Mhz when you enable XMP then I would start with switching slots as the first step in troubleshooting that.

• 10 months ago
  • 2 points

Like xbiker12 says... if it works...it works.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

ah good. So why would the recommend for the ram to be placed in A2 and B2 if A1 and B1 do the same?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Bit of a wild guess here, but A1 probably precedes A2 in the circuit, so running A1 without an A2 leaves an unterminated signal path beyond the A1 stick. I'll be surprised if you can get the speed up very high because you're more likely to get ringing or noise on the memory traces.

If you get it to work at speed then don't worry about it.

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

well, the overthinker in me had to follow through and I ended up swapping the ram to the right places to ease the mind. Was able to do so w/o removing the cooler thankfully

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a priority thing. It will not break anything if you put the memory in these slots by mistake but the BIOS will ignore the other slots if the 1st slots aren't populated.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube