add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Paul195

11 months ago

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/305797-new-multi-use-build

Before I pull the trigger on my shortlisted parts, I wanted to ask some advice about AMD and future proofing with regards to CPU and motherboard.

How many more AMD CPU's are likely to be released for the AM4 socket? How many more AMD CPU's are likely to be released for the TR4 socket?

At the moment, I'm torn between opting for a B450 with R7 1800X or 2700X / X470 with 2700X / X399 with TR. I don't really need the performance of the AMD TR, at least not presently. But I'm wondering about if it would be worth spending a bit more now and go for the threadripper (although it might be overkill at the moment) because it will allow more options for upgrade say in 3 or 4 years time ?

Alternatively I could go for something more budget orientated now like B450 with 1st gen Ryzen 7 and then think about new motherboard and CPU in 3 or 4 years time, when (and if) the need arises.

So... Stick with my current selection or.....go cheaper with the B450 and 1800X or 2700K or.....invest now with X399 and TR1950X

In addition I would be grateful for recommendations for top end B450 MB, mid-range & top end X470, budget and mid-range X399.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

How many more AMD CPU's are likely to be released for the AM4 socket? How many more AMD CPU's are likely to be released for the TR4 socket?

One this year and another next year maybe but they also stated they were replacing AM4/TR4 in 2020 so next years products may be on new sockets.

In addition I would be grateful for recommendations for top end B450 MB

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon.

mid-range & top end X470

Asus has the better X470 between the Crosshair and Strix lines.

ASRock has the Taichi but everything else in their X470 line-up is best avoided.

MSI is somewhat hit and miss in the mid-high end as most of their X470 are rebranded/recolors of the Gaming Pro Carbon you can get as a B450, Budget range their Gaming Pro and Gaming Plus are decent and generally cheaper then a high end B450.

Gigabyte has several decent Aorus models with their only real downside is the dated BIOS if you haven't worked with Gigabytes BIOS before.

budget and mid-range X399

There isn't any even the bottom end of each line is generally overbuilt on features so whatever you can get cheapest is your best budget option.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

AM4 should support up to fourth generation Ryzen, meaning the upcoming third generation, Zen2 and the one to follow, Zen2+.

I wouldn't buy the Threadripper if I were you. If you don't need it, don't get it. It's a workstation level CPU, you don't "futureproof" yourself with it because it's not "better" than the consumer CPUs per se.

Also, 1800X and 2700X aren't really good value choices right now, especially if you're looking to upgrade soon. Unless you absolutely need their performance right now, I would choose cheaper alternatives so that you save some money now, since you're going to upgrade in the future.

If I were you, get a 1700 or 1700X, pair it with a nice X370, like the Taichi mentioned above and then upgrade to a fourth generation Ryzen when it's released. This makes more sense than choosing the 2700X if you're upgrading soon. The 2700X is a lot more expensive, its performance isn't that much more than the 1700/1700X and you'll notice more of a jump in performance from first generation to fourth generation than second generation to fourth generation.

The B450 is fine, but if you look to upgrade the CPU without replacing anything else, I would choose an X370. The reason is because B450s are the cheaper motherboards, hence the majority of them have a weaker power delivery, not all, there are a few that have nice power delivery, but these are expensive and step into the decent X370 price range already, so why not just pick a nice X370 instead? You get more options to pick from if you choose an X370, that's all. Any B450/X370/X470 will work fine with all current Ryzen CPUs, but better power delivery is preferred because you don't know how much power the newer CPUs require, meaning if they require more, and your motherboard has a weak power delivery, the VRM cooling is insufficient, etc, it could end up throttling the CPU, restricting it's potential, which at that time, it's no different to not upgrading at all.

Anyway, that's what I would do if you look to upgrade the CPU in the next two years.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube