PCPartPicker

• Register

Is quad channel memory recommended for Ryzen?

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

DR.Cringe 7 days ago

Ryzen is loves memory speed so much. Your likey to get more performance from a memory OC then actually OC'ing the actual cpu! So does this imply to quad channel over dual channel?

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 3 points 7 days ago

The number of memory channels is built into the memory controller, which on modern desktop CPU's is built into the CPU itself. Ryzen is dual channel, period. (As is Intel Coffee Lake desktop CPU's.)

You can run 4 memory sticks but that doesn't make it quad channel. It just means that you are putting two sticks on one channel, which puts a more difficult load on the memory controller and is likely to slow things down. The ideal in terms of speed potential for Ryzen and Intel desktop CPU's is two sticks, one for each channel.

dryphtyr 1 point 5 days ago

To add to the other comments here, if you look at the QVL lists for most motherboards, they usually only certify the XMP clocks when 2 sticks are used. It's well documented that Ryzen doesn't really like 4 sticks.

mr_cool998 1 Build -1 points 7 days ago

Nah don't do quad channel with Ryzen. I have a Ryzen 5 2600 and when I had 2x4 GB of RAM I was able to run it at 3000Mhz just fine without any issues. But once I added another 2x4 GB and ran it in quad channel my computer refused to boot up, and was unstable until I lowered the RAM frequency. You'd be better off with dual channel because quad channel can make your system unstable if you overdo it.

Granddy 2 points 7 days ago

but it's not quad channel thou...

Besides it runs best with 2 sticks

mr_cool998 1 Build 2 points 7 days ago

Ignore me I don't know that much about RAM. But either way I was basically trying to say running 2 sticks is better than 4