add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ever had a game freeze while playing?

connor333

11 months ago

I built a new PC and a little sick to my stomach- I'm hoping this isn't serious.

I built a PC less than a week ago and didn't have any issues with gaming. Last night I was playing a game (Dead By Daylight), and the game froze. It sounded like a CD skipping as well. I tried to CTL AlT DEL and I couldn't even close the application. I didn't let it go for too long, maybe 10 seconds, so I pushed the power button to do a hard reset.

Build: 1080ti i7 8700k with Dark rock pro 4 cooling Asrock z370 extreme motherboard Seasonic Focus650 Watt power supply

Temps appear normal. CPU barely reaches 50 degrees C. GPU 75 degrees at the very max.

This morning I attempted a stress test by running valley benchmark for almost 1.5 hours. Temps remained healthy and no crashes or artifacts.

I'm going to go back into the bios and set everything to default since I had to adjust the memory to 3200 (16 gigs of it), and I'll turn "EZ overclock off," as that may be the issue.

Any other tips would be great. Hopefully it was just the game since it's rather buggy at times, but I never had a game freeze like that before.

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Make sure that ALL of your cables are properly connected. A loose cable may give intermittent power which can cause random crashes. Make sure your RAM is seated correctly as well. A loose RAM module can make the PC freak out. The OC is the most likely cause so run everything on default and try the game again and let us know.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I checked the ram and such. I honestly don't feel confident in setting the RAM in bios to 3200. I may have done it correctly but I'm going to set it back to normal if it happens again.

I tried the "EZ overclock," and have it set to 4500, so while it's not an intense overclock, I'm suspicious of one button making an overclock. Just like how GeForce experience "optimizes," games for me but they run worse than when I manually config.

Will keep you posted. Hoping it's not anything serious.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I had Team Fortress 2 crash and freeze the computer like yours several times in the past few years

Pretty sure that Dead by Daylight is just a buggy game in general.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

sadly I have 1500 hours in the game lol, but first time I experienced this bug, and with a new build.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

When you say "it" sounded like a skipping cd, whats the it? The PC itself? Like a physical grinding noise? or from the speakers.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I was wearing headphones, from them. I meant to say it was like the game was on freeze and just looping that millisecond of sound. Only way I can describe it is like the days of having a cd that was badly scratched, you try to play it, and it gets stuck on a part.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

ahh, yeah no big deal, check your drivers and make sure they are all up to date.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube