add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
JE514

11 months ago

I have $1200 for a build and i have a full build that would work at $1201 but I wanted to see if I could possibly get a modular PSU for $30

current PSU:
EVGA - 500 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply

Requirements:

-500watt

-Modular

-0-40$

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

You're dropping over $1000 on a computer. Trust me, just buy a better power supply.

Take your pick from these. These are all great high quality power supplies at a good price if you're fine with MIR's.

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $209.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard $139.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $229.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $118.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB Video Card $379.99 @ Newegg
Case DIYPC - Alnitak-BK ATX Mid Tower Case $41.97 @ Newegg
Power Supply BitFenix - Whisper M 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1190.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-19 13:00 EST-0500

Much better build if you absolutely need 32GB of RAM.

2600x is much cheaper overall than a 9600k and performs amazingly in games

Motherboard has intergrated WiFi

No need for a cooler with a decent stock cooler

1TB SSD

Cheaper 1070ti that will perform the same

Fully modular PSU

With the current pricing on Rzyen, 9th gen Intel only makes sense if all of it drops $50-100. The 9600k should be $175 or less, not $260

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

honestly, you will either have to raise your budget or sacrifice modularity

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok can you link a few cheaper 500 watt modular power supply I can go over my budget a little. But the price cant be $100 if theres any under 60$ that would be fine

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Was checking out your build ... notice you had 32GB RAM ... what will you be using this rig for? 32GB may be overkill depending on what you'll be doing.

Also, noticed you had 2 smaller SSDs ... and for the same price you can get one larger SSD with larger total capacity. Thoughts about why 2 SSDs?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The 32gb of ram is For me hosting testing gameservers and editing videos. And could you link a 500gb(preferably m.2) because I couldnt find one for the price of those 2 smaller SSD's

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I doubt you’ll be doing anything extreme with video editing to validate 32GB of RAM

Also depending on the game, it’s going to be much smarter to buy a cheap used Xeon CPU and a ton of DDR3 for a server

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

PSU is the heart and soul of the machine. The only parts I ever see die in a system are cheap PSU's. Don't cheap out here. Get you a high quality PSU. An example would be a EVGA G3 unit.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive decided to to your suggestions and not cheap out on the PSU but I have to ask if this one is good

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=220-B3-0550-V1

-Evga B3 550w

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

Nope not a good one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3hkwrH/corsair-power-supply-cp9020102na is better and won't blow up.

450W version of that evga B3 blew up during testing

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-b3-psu,5160-11.html

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Died at a 580 load (475 watts if you put in the bronze efficiency).

They put more load than the stated limit and thus blew up.

That being said, the OPP protection didn't kick in at all and would avoid it for that reason.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

OPP and OTP should have triggered well before blow up point

I wouldn't ever touch it, just because it can't even do basic protections. Who knows when it'll fail ATX spec and send 12v down the 5v rail?

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

The more recents reviews find the PSU to be fine under over power testing.

https://www.computerbase.de/2018-08/be-quiet-s9-evga-b3-80plus-bronze-test/

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Evga supposedly switched OEM's but they didn't bother labeling it rev.2 or something so its a gamble on which one you will end up getting and given that it wasn't popular its likely retailers will have both versions in stock. Evga needs to figure what the **** they are doing when it comes to PSU's.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-650-b3-psu,5624.html

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I really doubt they changed OEMs, even if they said that. But the protection issue could still be fixed.

EVGA'S plans are to flood the market with enough evga as possible.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Initially, the B3 family was manufactured by RSY. But EVGA informed us that its newest batches are rolling off of Super Flower's production lines. Although this is a truly modern platform, the OEM's component choices result in lower efficiency. This is why it's referred to as Leadex Bronze.

That makes absolutely zero sense from a enthusiast perspective since reviewers can't even keep up and review all of them. They have 7 different series that are under $50. Is it to just overwhelm the average consumer.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

This rumour is false. They likely were confused when EVGA said that their only OEM will be superflower.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube