add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Passive PSU wrong way up

Merlac

12 months ago

I have a passive PSU. Both the user manual and the markings on the PSU itself say that that the ventilation grill should face up. However, my small case only allows PSU in a 90 degree angle, so the ventilation points at the motherboard.

Is there any other reason to position the PSU correctly other than temperatures? The case should have reasonable ventilation and only low loads, meaning integrated GPU, SSDs and T-line CPU (power optimized), so I'm wondering if I can use incorrect PSU angle safely.

PSU: Seasonic 460W fanless platinum

Case: Raijintek Metis Plus

Thanks!

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

Is there any other reason to position the PSU correctly other than temperatures?

I mean, temperatures are certainly an important consideration.

only low loads, meaning integrated GPU, SSDs and T-line CPU (power optimized)

You should be fine as long as it's not totally stagnant (which isn't hard to achieve). I have a somewhat similar case structure with a non-passive PSU.

I've got a Kolink Satellite Plus with a filtered rear intake (Silverstone FHP141), with an M9 Plus CPU Cooler (airflow still back to front), followed by my PSU. I'm currently using a Seasonic SGX-650, which is a semi-passive unit. I can feel enough air exiting the unit (to the side), even though its fan isn't on.

If you can set things up in your case so you have a basic airstream going through the PSU, it'll be fine, even without the ideal orientation.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

Passive PSUs should only be used in a case where there is sufficient airflow. So long as air is getting to the PSU to allow for proper passive cooling, it should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube